City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Sound: I have to say, this album really kicked ass! The gritty, heavy, melodic sounds really give you a vibe that'll want to make you get up off your feet and try and rock out alongside them! This album was a real step up from Waking The Fallen; where WTF had great tracks, and a hardcore, heavy sound to it, City of Evil really steps the mark up with singing, with screaming in the background on such tracks like Beast And The Harlot and Bat Country. Going by what each song itself represents, the overall CD moral is how the world around us has changed, becoming "more corrupt" and the tyranny we follow in is taking control. I can defiantly see, though, especially in 'Betrayed', influences by Pantera in the melodic guitar riffs. TRACK LIST: 01: Beast And The Harlot; With inspiration from a short story in the bible, its amazing how they took it and turned it into a piece of modern music art. There's no messing abut with this album either. This song is the introductory song for the rest of the album and it jumps you straight into a melodic, heavy intro, not long before you get thrusted into a blend of bass, riffs and kick ass drumming. The opening scream in the background gives me shivers every time I hear this song, setting an atmosphere for the overall feel of the album. The solo is one of a kind, showing Gates at his best. 10/10 02: Burn It Down; B.A.T.H graduates into this song with a heavy drum and low sound guitar opening, and the solo is fast, quick, slick and not forgetting memorable. Unfortunatly, I feel the pre verse's are too Punk rock for me, but thats my taste. That doesnt differ from the rest of the feel. 9/10 03: Blinded In Chains; A intro similar to Burn It Down, it sets a feel straight away with the drums pounding at you fast and heavy! A political orientated song, its heavy and angry, and you can feel the passion in the drums, hear it in the lyrics. Its one of the best tracks on the album. 9/10 04: Bat Country; One of the first singles released for promoting the album, and inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, its a unique song. The drums in the pre verse are off beat and fun to listen to, and the intro to the song is just brilliant. There are soft bridges to the track where you get prepared to get thrown back into a mosh of music. The solo tops off the whole track, its breakdown is clean and amazing, and Syn definatly shows off his skills. 10/10 05: Trashed And Scattered; A song that bridges between the two ends of the album! Its very stylistic and original, and you won't find another song like this anywhere else. Its especially unique chorus fronts the whole song. 9/10 06: Seize The Day; A ballad. And that is all. A brilliant ballad at that, too. Its soft acoustic throughout is memorable to say the least, and Syn is the icing on the cake with an emotional, soft electric solo. 10/10 07: Sidewinder; Who else but Avenged Sevenfold could make a song about a snake and get away with such brilliance? Its stylistic introduction forebodes its awesome riffs. The first of their long tracks of the second part of the album, its a heart lifting, yet melancholy track. Its heavy throughout, until you reach the solo, put right at the end. And its acoustic. And it's played by Synyster's father. What else could you want? 10/10 08: The Wicked End; Another biblical orientated song. The song throughout is classic City Of Evil sounding, and then you reach the chorus, with an orchestra to fill a small space of time. Original, and yet a nice song to listen to. Unfortunately, a little too on the fast, heavy side. Still, 9/10 09: Strength of the World; The intro gives it a a western-film like feel. An emotionally based track about someone who has lost their family, its not Seize The Day emotional, but anger emotional. different, and amazing. 9/10 10: Betrayed; In memory of Darrell, 'Dimebag' Darrell, the guitar phenomenon of Pantera. Its a nice song, with soft chorus'. 10/10 11: M.I.A; The end song of the album, it's definatly a nice end song. A song of war, it tells a short story of someone who goes Missing In Action, 'living another day in disguise'. The end of the song gives the album a perfect ending, and the anticipation for their next album is due straight after the artwork of this CD is heard. Synyster's solo is also amazing, with no bass behind it but drums and rhythm. 10/10.

The lyrics are easy to sing to, nice to listen to, and are outstandingly written. Well done to Shadows for such good singing, he deliver's the words well enough to be heard and understood at the same time, hard to achieve. They melody with the music too well, which is why I'm giving him a 10/10.

It doesn't, but does compare. Its one of hundreds of albums that get released ever year, but to be made gold means something. It deserves to hit gold, and deserves to be called their best album to date, closely followed, in my opinion, by Nightmare, then Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, Avenged Sevenfold, then Waking The Fallen. Is a cut above the rest when it comes to music. The most impressive songs have to be Beast And The harlot, Bat Country, Sidewinder and M.I.A, simply because their just too original, yet they work together so well! I love it all, and hate nothing, and if it were to get stolen, yes. I would buy another copy.

seven92
    i give a lot of respect to the guys of a7x from the vocals they can pull off to their shredding guitars. this is a very good album. they did a nice job goin from waking the fallen to this consider wat happened to shadows vessel. i still like waking the fallen way more but this is a good album