City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold has always been known as an "alternative metal" band, and time after time they not only seem to set a standard for the band, but for the genre itself. They are unique in almost every way; From Matt's rough vocals, to Jimmy's fast-paced drum beats. City of Evil was a huge change in Avenged Sevenfold's overall musical flavor, which, prior to then, was more of an early "metalcore" type sound. The whole album was great. I took very clear notice of the Hispanic rhythm influences, as featured on "Sidewinder" and "Seize The Day" and many other experimental selections are also noted throughout the album such as the intro to "Strength Of The World". I Have to say, I'm Impressed. The Album was very underrated, and in my, definition, set a high standard for experimental metal.

The lyrics themselves were very interesting. I took note that they were either "very dark" or "very light". In songs such as "Beast And The Harlot" and "The Wicked End", Matt sings of demons, killing kings, rape, and many other dark subjects, and in songs such as "Seize The Day" and "Betrayed", he sings of lust, that special someone, and love itself. A great diversity, but lacks a medium. The lyrics matched the music in such an amazing way that you could literally tell what Matt was singing about based on the general tone of the guitar and drums. That's something that is amazingly hard to pull off. Kudos to Avenged Sevenfold on that one. Matt's singing was another thing about the album that set a higher standard for the band, Considering their previous albums lacked any vocal melody. Matt Worked with a vocal trainer for several months before the albums release, and the lessons paid off!

The album as a whole was nothing but amazing. It is by far their most creative album yet. I was most impressed by 3 songs in particular, "Blinded In Chains", "Sidewinder", and "Betrayed". They were very experimental, as was the rest of the album, and that's what I love about it. However, every up has a down. If I could change one thing about the album, I would take a huge chunk out of the songs, "The Wicked End" and "MIA". They're both considerably long, which is not a problem. The problem is, they ramble like crazy, and that is something you really want to keep away from when writing a song, but that doesn't change the fact that they were still great songs (in the parts where I was awake haha). The album is one of a kind, and is nothing short of a diamond in the rough. I don't know what I'd do without it. I'd probably go buy a hindered copies just to support the band, and I'd give them to people on the street. It's worth the money. I recommend you buy it too!

Sompn
    Their craziest albums, amazing and extremely fun to play on every instrument. Shadows's voice is kinda annoying in songs like, but in the song Blinded in Chains, his voice is really amazing and powerfull. Love this album, 9/10
    Elushka1
    Well I agree that they're other albums probably are pure carp and I'm not a big fan of A7X but damn this album is fantastic ! every each song of it is just perfect.. P.S.- DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO CLIPS- those are lame
    westley23j
    i agree with Stuz on this being the last REAL a7x album. their self titled was good, but had really weak moments, and nightmare was just trash. yeah they were still greiving and yada yada yada, but it was just sooooo whiney.
    SGstriker
    2nd favorite album by them behind Nightmare. I personally don't see how Nightmare is "trash". I think it's probably their best album from a lyrical standpoint. Pretty much all of the lyrics were inspired by what they experienced in The Rev's passing. Prior to that, they wrote about less personal things (demons, biblical stuff, drugs, etc.). But opinions are opinions, I suppose.
    ninjamo
    I'm probably in the minority here but I like this album more than their old ones. Screaming in music is just so damn cheesy.