Live In The LBC [DVD] review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 16, 2008
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 6
Avenged Sevenfold: Live In The LBC [DVD]

I have seen Avenged Sevenfold live before so I already kinda got an idea of how they would be like on this DVD. Nevertheless, I am still very impressed by their musical abilities in front of a huge crowd. The fact that the sound is more than satisfactory only makes this better. This was one of Avenged Sevenfold's biggest shows as the show was filmed in their hometown, California, in the Long Beach Arena. I think that Synyster Gates especially had the same style as on the record, although he used his whmmy bar a lot, his improvised solos were typical Synsolos, nothing unexpected. Of course M Shadows has the same singing style as on the record. It's not exactly screaming, but it's more of his normal voice with a scratchy background.

Content — 8
This DVD holds a full live show at the Long Beach Arena in California as well as a fair range of extras, such as backstage footage. The setlist was powerful. It starte with Critical Acclaim which is the perfect opener for a huge show like this. During the show they played their greatest hits, such as, Afterlife, Bat Country, Second Heartbeat, Almost Easy, Seize The Day and many many more, and they ended with the classic Unholy Confessions, before they came back running on the stage with a mind-blowing A Little Piece Of Heaven. There was also a lot of variation in the setlist. As most of you know, Avenged is a hard rock band, but they had a lot of variation in their setlist, they had rough songs, and at some points they slowed down with a beautiful Gunslinger and Seize the Day. One of the highlights was probably the fact that they played Walk by Pantera and actually had a member of the crowd sing it.

Production Quality — 6
The porduction quality was ok, not perfect. The camera setting for example, annoyed me slightly. During some points in the songs, the camera changes angles as the bass drum beats, and as we know, The Rev uses his bass drum a lot, and so the camera changes a lot which is annoying bcause you can't see anythig or anyone then anyway. Other than that, the production was satisfactory to me, good filming, good editing, good mixing.

Well, Avenged havereleased another DVD earlier, called All Excess, and this one does not compare to that DVD, and not necessarily in a bad wway, but this is a live show DVD and All Excess is a more "tour life" DVD. And it is completely different than any of their records, eventhough it does involve a lot of the same songs. Whenone buys a record, one is more curious to what the songs sound like, with a live DVD people wanna know what the band sounds like on stage. The most impressive thing on this DVD is that the Avenged guys actually picked a guy out of the rowd to sing a song with them. I have never seen anything like that before and I just think that shows incredible respect towards the crowd. I love this DVD because it truly accentuates the talen and wide range of ideas and musical ability each of these guys have. This DVD shows some great potential. What I hate about the DVD is that there isnt too much backstage footage, just the tour intros for every gig they had in the states, and I wish they filmed some more backstage events, such as, life in the dressing room an hour before the show. Just to show what these guys are up to before shows. Nevertheless, I think this DVD is great, because now we can see our favourtie songs live anytime we want, and I would be very bumed if I lost this DVD or got it stolen. If this did happen I would definately buy a new copy of this.

daz-a7x
    The b-side song are defo on this. Heading out to buy it later Cant wait
    Eps123
    yeah i know theres a cd with bsides, but i decided only to talk abnout the dvd here, the cd with the bsides is called Diamonds In The Rough, and the DVD is Live in the LBC, and i reviewed the dvd, but the bside songs are great too
    Eps123
    its 2 diff cds in 1 pack, 1 cd is the concert DVD and the other is the bside songs, so i reviewed only the 1 cd