Live In The LBC [DVD] Review

artist: Avenged Sevenfold date: 02/26/2010 category: compact discs
Avenged Sevenfold: Live In The LBC [DVD]
Released: September 16, 2008
The live DVD features the band's April 10 hometown show at Long Beach Arena headlining the Rockstar Taste of Chaos tour.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 8.9
 8.9
 8.4
 9.4
 3,331
Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: Eps123, on september 18, 2008

Sound: I have seen Avenged Sevenfold live before so I already kinda got an idea of how they would be like on this DVD. Nevertheless, I am still very impressed by their musical abilities in front of a huge crowd. The fact that the sound is more than satisfactory only makes this better. This was one of Avenged Sevenfold's biggest shows as the show was filmed in their hometown, California, in the Long Beach Arena. I think that Synyster Gates especially had the same style as on the record, although he used his whmmy bar a lot, his improvised solos were typical Synsolos, nothing unexpected. Of course M Shadows has the same singing style as on the record. It's not exactly screaming, but it's more of his normal voice with a scratchy background. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, Avenged havereleased another DVD earlier, called All Excess, and this one does not compare to that DVD, and not necessarily in a bad wway, but this is a live show DVD and All Excess is a more "tour life" DVD. And it is completely different than any of their records, eventhough it does involve a lot of the same songs. Whenone buys a record, one is more curious to what the songs sound like, with a live DVD people wanna know what the band sounds like on stage. The most impressive thing on this DVD is that the Avenged guys actually picked a guy out of the rowd to sing a song with them. I have never seen anything like that before and I just think that shows incredible respect towards the crowd. I love this DVD because it truly accentuates the talen and wide range of ideas and musical ability each of these guys have. This DVD shows some great potential. What I hate about the DVD is that there isnt too much backstage footage, just the tour intros for every gig they had in the states, and I wish they filmed some more backstage events, such as, life in the dressing room an hour before the show. Just to show what these guys are up to before shows. Nevertheless, I think this DVD is great, because now we can see our favourtie songs live anytime we want, and I would be very bumed if I lost this DVD or got it stolen. If this did happen I would definately buy a new copy of this. // 8

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: PoshBoy, on february 09, 2009

Sound: While Sinister Gates and Zachy Vengeance shred their guitars simultaneously, The Rev throws a double base pedal sound that will not quit. Johnny Christ gives a effective performance but M. Shadows steals the show with his amazing vocals. Almost too amazing if you know what I mean. The use of pre-recorded music is more than prevalent during a number of their songs. The sound is more than incredible but that's kind of the downer. It wasn't real. // 7

Overall Impression: The DVD compares well to the newest albums, however it is a far cry from "Sounds of the Seventh Trumpet"; a personal favorite of mine. Even though I was sadden to see these guys turn so trendy I was more than entertained with this DVD. It captured the most important part of music... energy! // 8

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2008

Sound: I first bout this dvd/cd off of amazon.co.uk as a pre-order. I was pretty excited to get it because Avenged Sevenfold are amazing live and sound just as good as they do on the studio records live. This DVD was shot in the hometown of Long Beach, California on April 10th 2008 as part of the taste of chaos tour. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this DVD is what an amazing DVD If you ran A7X fan or not you will still like this DVD cause of how good of quality the sound and technical stuff is. If i lost it i would go by another 1 and hunt the person down and kill them with my trilby and drumsticks lol. I love the technical stuff, how the setlist is put 2gether and the band interaction with the crowd! And i h8 fuck all about this DVD its a perfect present for ANY music fan!!! // 8

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2008

Sound: Saying this now, but this review is for Diamonds in the Rough and not the DVD. Okay then. Anyways, as we all know Avenged Sevenfold is fairly inconsistent when it comes to a specific genre. While this album may be considered CD #4.5 for the band, Diamonds in the Rough almost takes a step backwards sometimes as some traks are clearly more COE-esque as opposed to sounding like the material from the last effort. That's not a bad thing either. As expected, there isn't any screaming at all but if you were more into the hard rock / metalish stuff from City of Evil than the random slur of whateverness for the untitled album, than you might just dig some of these tunes. Syn and Zacky still have their guitars going on for 90% of the time and the Rev is same old. Tension, however, has an almost exclusive bass riff for the verse and the lyrics are done in an almost nu-metal style... sort of. I guess Shadows is actualy just talking fast over heavy music. There'll be more detail on the specific sounds as each song is reviewd indivdually later on. But overall, it wasn't stepping out of their safety zone and there's nothing particulairly new here. This CD has no big bad swear words either, as far as I'm aware. Content matter may be a different story in some cases. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, Avenged shuns a single genre classification, though not as much as the self-titled album. Overall, there is a deinant hard rock sound here and it's not bad. The screaming is obviously gone as are the amazing never-ending solos of COE. Avenged is always evolving, and it's to see that while they don't have to always spread themselves over the musical spectrum in a ridiculous manner (A7X album), they can still defy simple classifaction. The most impressive tracks would probably have to be Until the End and Girl I Know. There are some tracks that are nothing special, and others that suck. As these tracks are predominantly b-sides, one might expect them to be lacking compared to A7X (the album) but that is certainly not the case. Some of these tracks could easily have complimented the short ten from said album. Since this is what I'd consider a half-a-cd, I'd say it was pretty good. Not amazing, but not bad either. If you are a fan of the band no matter their genre, then you should pick it up I suppose. If you liked COE you might want to check it out before purchasing it. If you are a fan of the new sutff then you'll probably loves these tracks. And, if you are a more hardcore fan from several years back... sorry, I guess. The 'remixes' are dissatisfying as there isn't anything special about them really, and the covers are almost carbon-copies of the originals, but again, not as good. Combined with the DVD, A7X fans might just want to pick this up, even if you dislike the newer material. I saw Taste of Chaos in Calgary and he screamed a lot of Second Heartbeat, so that part is worth it for sure. A7X is a great live band and this CD is a nice compliment to the DVD. Overall, it was a worthwhile purchase. // 8

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: Justice4AllOne, on october 07, 2008

Sound: First things first, I'm not only reviewing Live In The LBC, but Diamonds In The Rough, as well. With that out of the way, let's start with the sound of the DVD. It was a fairly good quality of sound. I only have 3 live DVDs thus far, and the sound of this DVD blew "St. Anger - Live" and "Nirvana - Unplugged" away, completely. It was mixed nearly perfectly! My only complaint is that M. Shadows' microphone is a little too quiet, and you can hear the backing vocals over him. The DVD, overall, sounded very good, with a good sound guy, who mixed it near perfect, and the guitars and bass remained in tune through the whole set. I couldn't have mixed it better myself. The inclusion of a real organ on stage for the first song was a huge plus for the sound, as well. The only overdubs were for the encore, which is 90% orchestrated, anyway, and the intro for Afterlife, which slightly bothers me, as the album is advertised on the cover as having no overdubs. Also, a small complaint, they mixed Gates' guitar and mic over to the left channel and Vengeance's guitar and mic over to the right channel, and the television in my bedroom only has mono, thus, I had to plug in the red AV jack so I could hear Gates' lead guitar, and Christ's bass, which closely matches the rhythm anyway. Now for the CD. It was mixed very nicely, nothing seemed out of place to me. I thought the inclusion of bass, which the band has been leaning to lately, was very nice, since Christ's basslines have usually matched Vengeance's rhythm. I also liked the use of piano and synthesized sounding guitars, which sort of threw me for a loop, the first time I heard the record. Overall, my only complaint is the over-distorted guitars on Walk. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, my overall impression is that this is definitely worth buying, if not for the DVD, just for Until The End and Almost Easy (CLA Mix). The set, as a whole, was worthy of about an 8, and I'm going to have to say, it's only because of the overwhelming amount (almost half) of old songs on Diamonds In The Rough. I'd still buy the CD if my copy were stolen. After all, I got mine for $12.75 on Amazon.com, so it was a bargain. // 8

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: \m/A7X\m/, on july 28, 2009

Sound: Well, it sounds fantastic, the e songs from the concert do sound almost studio perfect but it still manages to keep the mind blowing aura of a live performance. Avenged Sevenfold started as a metalcore screamo band with STST and Waking the Fallen then moved to a less screaming more singing attitude with City of Evil and the seelf titled album. This concert brings together the best songs from the entire lifetime of A7X mixing old classics such as Second Heartbeat and Unholy Confessions(two of the best on the DVD) with the new hits Almost Easy and Critical Acclaim etc. Zacky and Syns dual guitars create a memorable sound from the squeals and bends of Syn to the heavy, deep rhythm from Zacky. A minor lapse in Syns concentration in the solo from Second Heartbeat is the only fault with the sound and is easily shrugged off. The tracks are: Critical Acclaim, Second Heartbeat, Afterlife, Seize the Day, Beast and the Harlot, Scream, Walk, Bat Country, Almost Easy, Gunslinger, Unholy confessions and A Little Piece of Heaven. // 10

Overall Impression: To me Avenged Sevenfold sound like Avenged Sevenfold, they have their own styles which change every album, there influences and favourite bands are Metallica, Iron maiden etc and this is where some of the guitar inspiration comes from with fast bends and sweep picking. The most impressive thig about the DVD must be the sound quality, when you listen to many live concerts the sound is never satisfactory, either the bass is too loud or clunky and the drums are drouwned out too much by the singing but on this DVD it is at equilibrium, the result, the perfect hometown show. One or two pet peeves with this DVD is the lack of extra material, the tour videos get tiresome after one or two views so maybe some more videos like the ones in All Excess maybe for more viewability. If this was stolen i would definatly buy it again. // 9

Live In The LBC [DVD] Reviewed by: A7Xfan47, on february 26, 2010

Sound: Watching this DVD and listening to their live sound compared to their older live performances, they've definitely improved. M. Shadows voice sounds the same if not better than he does in the studio, and Syn Gates played every solo perfectly. Was kind of disappointed that he didn't do a guitar solo though. And they picked some random guy out of the crowd to sing their cover of "Walk" by Pantera, didn't really like that and it didn't help that they didn't even play the whole song. That being said, everything else was basically perfect and you won't find much better live performances than this. // 8

Overall Impression: There definitely won't be any complaining that they don't sound nearly as good live as they do on their CDs, and thats really big for me. Theres no way I could pick a favorite part of the DVD, cause all of it I thought was great. I guess I just would have liked it they had replaced a few songs they played with some of my other favorites from them, but thats just my personal preference. If I lost the DVD, I don't if I'd buy it again cause pretty much all of its on youtube, but watching it on my T.V definitely looks and sounds better, but i'm not to picky about that. It's definitely an awesome DVD that I wouldn't mind watching over and over again. // 9

Comments