Nightmare review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jul 27, 2010
Avenged Sevenfold: Nightmare

I'm going to try to keep the overall review short and to the point. The overall album sound falls between the self titled CD and Diamonds in the Rough. There are quite a few ballads and its definitely not the hard rock album Avenged Sevenfold or City of Evil was. Great instrumentals like always with great swagger but not too much head banging here. Like everyone says, if you like them you'll like their progression... If you've never liked them, you won't like it. I personally love it.

The lyrics of this album definitely stand out. The unfortunate passing of the Rev has quite obviously impacted the lyrical content and soul of this CD. I personally like Matt's rough singing. It's very distinct, unique, and you feel the passion in his words. A good amount of songs (So Far Away, Fiction, Victim, etc) are incredibly emotional but it is expected because of their terrible loss. I applaud the guys for changing up the lyrics last minute before releasing the album and really showing their emotions about the loss of a friend.

Overall I like Nightmare, however, it is definitely not my favorite album they've made. I do like a lot of the songs, however, their "in-your-face" albums like City of Evil and Diamonds and even Waking the Fallen have always been my favorite. I feel I will forever find myself in a dark mood after listening to the album but I do respect their progression and ability to release a CD so quickly after their friend's passing to mark his legacy, to express the band mates emotions, and to feed their worldwide army of loyal fans who stand behind them through thick and thin. Rest in Peace Jimmy. Your fans miss you more than you imagine and can't wait to party with you in the afterlife. A7X foREVer

Seth Shadows
    SIRRON_KCUHC wrote: cs21 wrote: basshunter07 wrote: I feel that the people flaming this album have no real issue with the album, but more with the band. If they never liked Avenged Sevenfold, they never will like Avenged Sevenfold no matter how good they will sound. Guitar is an easy skill to learn and I admit that if you know your basic shred and sweep, you are suddenly licensed to hate bands like A7X. I get it. But you know one easier skill to have is to hate. You can't please a hater, so I'm not even going to try to defend this album. I like it. And that's enough. +1 AMEN one thing to say if you dont like the band to begin with DONT FUCKIN COMMENT i dont go flaming KISS and their bullshit i hate them but wont do that to them because I am not a have and have the decency to let the fans decide what they want about their crap so back off iff you dont like them then get off now, listen to a band YOU like, and if your up for the challenge try to learn one of their songs if you think their so bad not so easy huh?
    We're allowed to comment, it's the point of a site like this, moron. It's not www.a7xfandom.com or www.a7xrocksmysocks.com, we're allowed to comment. The album sucks, deal with it. The Rev died, who cares anymore? countless musicians and people have died throughout the years, get over it.
    indyrock91
    Album cover: absolutely amazing. Now that I got that out of the way, I'm not a huge A7X fan (hated Bat Country), but I was so curious about this album, so I bought it. It was definitely worth it. Nightmare is a great start, and I personally loved Welcome to the Family. pounding riffs, great drumwork a la Mike Portnoy, and I love the vocals. Wherever he is the Rev must be smiling. Well done A7X, you now have a new fan.
    SIRRON_KCUHC
    guitaroojay
    A7X new album I'll admit isn't as good as I thought it was gonna be, their are some tracks that have captured my ear, tracks like "God Hates Us" and "Natural Born Killer." "God Hates Us" is somewhat reminiscent of Slayer at least to my ear, but I enjoyed some of the slow intros to some of the songs, but other than that I say this album is maybe a 8.3.
    col50
    Completely awful album. A7X is to mainstream pop metal for me. They're so average and bland bringing no talent to the table.
    Lion_Slicer
    Why do so many of the reviews suck? And why do so many people who don't like Avenged Sevenfold post? When you think your own musical opinion is fact then we're not going to take you seriously... Anyway, this album is amazing. At first I felt it was too soft, with Victim, TTWD, and Fiction all in a row, but I've changed my mind. Fiction is kind of beyond criticism for me--I don't know how to react to it, it's not really "good" or "bad" but it is emotional--I'm surprised Shadows can keep it together long enough to sing his parts. Natural Born Killer and God Hates Us bring the great heavy songs back anyway, and So Far Away is by far their best ballad-style song ever. And then Save Me... in my view their best song ever, all-around awesomeness. Making an 11-minute song that doesn't overstay its welcome is EXTREMELY hard (and something even Dream Theater can't pull off all the time) and Save Me is absolutely enthralling to me from start to finish. Lyrics, riffs, solos, and the way they structure the song are all chillingly good. Their self-titled was hugely disappointing to me, I was just annoyed with most of the songs. This one is one or their best works, up there with WTF and COE, and it actually has more songs that I absolutely LOVE than any others.
    basshunter07
    F I C T I O N wrote: So many of you are retarded. You make comments on the band with no knowledge on details of the album or the band. This album is a beautiful tribute to a fallen bandmate, but some of you look so deep to find little, nit-picky things that you don't like. If you're gonna' hate a band, hate them, but quite frankly, no one wants to hear your garbage complaints.
    arcwarrior
    this album is an average. mike portnoy did a good job. fiction, the best song from the album. warmness on the soul and second heartbeat are my all-time favorites from this band
    kgranlund
    This album was amazing and ballads fit the album perfect for how its so memorial to the rev... This is the 2nd best album but you cant beat the self titled bc the rev is what that album what it was.
    metalfr3ak666
    metalfr3ak666 wrote: jesus christ, i've read too many comments about how 'this is my fav album other than
    ???? srry i don't know what happened o_O
    gibsonlespaul26
    Alrite to all the genre nazis and whiney bitches: Don't like the album? Don't listen to it. Crying about how synyster "sucks" and how it isn't "metal" enough isn't gonna change the fact that their making more money then you could ever dream of. This cd was awesome, and jimmy singing fiction was heart wrenching. I love this album. Screw you.
    santanic
    i guess if ur not happy with the album then its your own opinion.. and i respect it but stop coming up with irrelevant statements saying that 'syn cant pull off live solos!, m.shadows is the worst vocalist!' IMO.. each of them are talented in their own way and it makes them sound original.. 8/10 for the album..
    TheReverend724
    So much fanboyism in here :p I listened to the album five times after getting it yesterday. It's still a big pile of meh :/
    Caboose911
    RIP_PaulGray wrote: Great Album...bottom line
    i completely agree. its pissing me off, all these cannibal corpse fanboys tearing this apart saying "this isnt metal, this isnt metal!" its not metal. its hard rock. its soft rock. its rock. not deathcore, not thrash, not emo. you want that. look somewhere else. dont hate on an album you've never listened to.
    TheGoob
    Solid album from start to finish, God Hates Us, Natural Born Killer and So Far Away are great.
    LP94
    This album actually dissapointed me a bit. It was meant to be "dark" and sure, I guess I can agree with that. But it's boring for me to listen to. The whole album sounds quite the same except for when you get to "God hates us". When that song comes, you get that "HELL YEA" type of feeling cause something finally happens. So.. Yea, thats my opinion.
    nghtslyr
    Finally tabbed natural born killer please go review it. i hated tabbing the crazy part at the start
    Seth Shadows
    Dream Theaterr wrote: This album is mediocre. The only reason no one will admit it is because the rev died.
    This, absolutely this. Noone gives a shit anymore, A7X, you milked it too much.