Nightmare review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jul 27, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Avenged Sevenfold: Nightmare

My first review shall be about Avenged Sevenfolds new album, Nightmare. Now I know Avenged Sevenfold seems to have a stigma attached to them (LOL u lyk that shit? fukn fag. SLAYER!) but I don't really get it. Sure, it's quite pop in the ways it's mixed and mastered. But the actual music being played? That is not pop. Never in pop music will these sort of harmonies and riffs be played. The lead track of this album is, would you have guess, Nightmare. Personally, I feel this track is very weak in comparison to some of the others. They've definately taken a different step this time. Instead of changing their sound nearly completely, like they did both in City of Evil and their self-titled, it seems as though they've gone for an album between Waking The Fallen and City of Evil. This is a good move in my opinion, and it shows in the album. It's more creative. It's not different genres, but it's exploring diferrent areas of the genre they're very good at: Metalcore. They've got some amazing new songs. Here's a list of what you need to check out: 1: Fiction. This is was the last song The Rev wrote. I personally think it's one of the best songs they've ever done. 2: God Hates Us All. Very Slayer-esque in my opinion. Problem: Terrible breakdown. 3: Buried Alive. Lovely bluesy-jazz clean guitar intro. The riffs are there, the solos are the same (technical, but melodic) and the harmonies are awesome. If there's anything Synyster and Zacky can do, it's know when who plays what and how. They work very well together, just like Slash and Izzy.

Of course I have a problem with the lyrics. I cannot like lyrics easily. Sure, Tool do it very well for me. But Avenged Sevenfold? I feel their lyrics to be very immature. But it goes with the music. If it was too deep it'd detract from the music. They've brought back his screaming, even if it's weaker than they used to do it. (Thank God. If I wanted to hear cats being blended, I'd do it myself).

To be honest, I've not got much against this album. I can see the effort was there and I can't really fault it musically. It's very much an Avenged Sevenfold album (if you knew them from City of Evil). It's less technical than City of Evil, but less brutal than Waking The Fallen. A perfect combination. I would give a rating of 7/10. Which is quite good in my opinion.

fuzzymunkee
    Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet was pretty cool but other than that, I don't really care for these guys. The raspy vocals are painful and unpleasant to listen to and it just gets old.
    the_thief
    SIRRON_KCUHC wrote: cs21 wrote: basshunter07 wrote: I feel that the people flaming this album have no real issue with the album, but more with the band. If they never liked Avenged Sevenfold, they never will like Avenged Sevenfold no matter how good they will sound. Guitar is an easy skill to learn and I admit that if you know your basic shred and sweep, you are suddenly licensed to hate bands like A7X. I get it. But you know one easier skill to have is to hate. You can't please a hater, so I'm not even going to try to defend this album. I like it. And that's enough. +1 AMEN one thing to say if you dont like the band to begin with DONT FUCKIN COMMENT i dont go flaming KISS and their bullshit i hate them but wont do that to them because I am not a have and have the decency to let the fans decide what they want about their crap so back off iff you dont like them then get off now, listen to a band YOU like, and if your up for the challenge try to learn one of their songs if you think their so bad not so easy huh?
    You're right, I've never seen so many eighth notes and tremolo picking in my life! OT, I think these guys are ok but their new album didn't do anything for me. Sure their self titled album didn't really work but at least they tried to do something different with it.
    Timo9500
    Half of that solo was trill or sweep picking. Wheres the emotion in that?
    Smeghead777
    Timo9500 wrote: a7xb4d wrote: Hildesheimer wrote: I've probably never seen so much stupidity in reviews. So this "Synyster" guy can play some power chords and he can shred. Cool. About every decent metal guitarist can do that too. Evidently, you've never heard his playing. He doesn't just "shred" like a crappy Dragonforce guitarist, he actually puts thought and emotion into his work. Listen to the solo of Seize the Day. Syn doesn't just play really fast the whole time, he actually only plays fast at one part during it, but the rest is well-thought-out, emotional music. It's not the hardest to play solo ever, but I think that it is one of his best. Half of that solo was trill or sweep picking. Wheres the emotion in that?
    How can using a specific guitar technique automatically negates the emotion of it? Thats like saying writing left handed makes you a bad writer. Aren't fast solos suppose to evoke a kind of emotion that you get from something from speed or fury. I swear anyone can become a genius if they truly understand exactly the purpose of music. Then all thats left to learn is technique.
    SG-Burchett
    MetallikSH wrote: welcome to the family sounds like green day
    WTF????? you have obviously heard neither of these bands to come to that conclusion. and i hate how how hardly anone looks at this band without a pre-decided idea about them either being shit or saying they are the best band in the world (neither of which are true by a long way)