Nightmare review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jul 27, 2010
Avenged Sevenfold: Nightmare

The Music sounds great. I feel that they changed in style. They are heavier and have more of a thrash sound. You can really see how heavy they have gotten in songs like Buried Alive and Natural Born Killer. However it is still the same great vocals and Synster Gates has his same style solos. They got a new drummer for this album because the old drummer (The Rev) sadly passed away. However I feel that Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater did a good job on this album. I believe that The Rev wrote the tracks though. This album has a nice blend of heavy and soft songs on it. Some really nice soft songs on this album are So Far Away and Fiction. Fiction has really beautiful harmonies. If I am not mistaken The Rev sings lead vocals on this track and he wrote it as well. From the first track to the last track the album sounds really good.

The lyrics are good. Most of the songs are sad. It is suppose to be Avenged Sevenfold's most personal album. The music goes really well with the lyrics. M. Shadows is a great singer with a very unique style. He is not for everyone but those of you who like rock and metal should enjoy this.

Overall this album is a masterpiece. If you like Avenged Sevenfold you should definitely get it. If you listen to metal ranging from Disturbed to Metallica, I would recommend you get it. I would say Avenged Sevenfold is one of best metal bands out there today. My favorite songs on this Album are Nightmare, Buried Alive, and Natural Born Killer. In Buried Alive there is a part near the end that sounds like Metallica. I love how they this album has both Avenged Sevenfold's heaviest and softest songs. I am a big fan of Thrash Metal and I feel that this album sounds a lot like Thrash. I don't really hate anything about it. If it were stolen or lost from me, I would definitely get it again. I listen to this all of the time.

drug.me.2.hell
    themelodicdeathshow
    MegadethFan18 wrote: Love Avenged saw them live in Glasgow. Not only did they bring it but they set it on the table then opened it all over my face. Nightmare is great but WtF>CoE>Nightmare. Also Guns N' Roses is as heavy as "Hard Rock" gets A7X are a straight up Heavy Metal band. So **** "alt metal" and "hard rock" Also 1000101 shut the **** up and back the **** up. Want a real review? Write one yourself.
    I lold def not a straight up heavy metal band alt rock or hard rock fits them nicely!
    caroesu11
    King ofKumbucha wrote: The UG review is so bad it's good. So many amazingly stupid lines LMAO Nothing new here though. My friend insists on trying to make me like this band so he keeps playing me songs in the car on the way to work. I'd say if you hated them before this album won't win you over and Portnoy is completely wasted on the sub-par riffing and overall boring songs. The vocals are just as horrible as ever too.
    if you don't like them, don't comment, no one really cares about what you have to say.
    ridinglightning
    TRH wrote: I'm sorry, but this band is to metal what Taylor Swift is to country music; so stale and mediocre. This album is the epitome of cheese. It's like a bunch of teenagers got together and put the damn thing together. From the sweep solos to the very predictable lyrics, it just does nothing for me. I say predictable lyrics because if you here a line, you can pretty much guess what's coming next. This album is the afterbirth from the infected womb that is Guitar Center.
    I'm sorry, but does a chain music store have to do with anything by A7X?
    ridinglightning
    skylerjames13 wrote: I don't understand why people hate them so much. Just cause they have changed their sound, doesn't mean they suck. From what i've read, Buried Alive is a song most often picked on. It's one of my favourite songs. It's soft, melodic, AND heavy. So what if Avenged Sevenfold don't scream as much anymore? They want to explore new music. Tbh, sticking to the same kind of music forever is kind of lame. Expanding your sound is ballsy, and if you want to do it, then do it. You guy's really gotta wrap your heads around this stuff, Jesus.
    Bingo.
    TRH
    DCBA25
    My favourites from the album were Danger Line, specifically the intro, Buried Alive, specifically the outro, and Save Me, and I enjoyed the other songs, I felt like I heard something new with each listen of the album. The one thing I didn't like actually was Portnoy's drumming. His drumming is spectacular but nothing will be like The Rev's The album was meant to have The Rev.. Portnoy really was the only suitable one to fill his shoes though. Overall I can say I am very happy with this album's release, it gave me some new avenged sevenfold to listen to. While I wouldn't say it will keep your attention the whole way through like the best classics, its got really good musicianship..
    SweepSDMF
    KoK_Guitarist wrote: mattberg971 wrote: How the hell did they get one of the best drummers in the world to play with them? What were you thinking Portnoy? Thats like having Gene Hoglan drumming for Trivium which would be a horrible idea. Avenged Sevenfold sucks what a bunch of emo posers. you people need to listen to real heavy shit. We need more Lamb of God,Acrassicauda,Chimaira,Hatebreed etc reviews. I'm soo sick of this poser band
    THIS^ although did you have to say hatebreed? i could let you off with acrassicauda, even though he needs to stop wearing that ****ing pretentious scarf thing, their music is outstanding. but hatebreed? BORN TO BLEED, FIGHTING TO SUCCEED, BUILT TO ENDURE WHAT THIS WORLD THROWS AT ME . JK haha, actually i see alot of machinehead in those guys.
    KoK_Guitarist
    K!!LsWiTcH
    albums a six at best considering 5 is average. its nothing that great. the last song on the album sets up a great vibe that is murdered only 10 seconds later with a crappy melodic line. this album is also overflowing with cheese. lots of the riffs or guitar lines sounds pretty generic and its difficult listening to synyster try and make a solo in every ballad here because he pretty much pulls apart the seize the day solo and scraps in crap for the rest. best songs are fiction, danger line (solo blows though), and if it wasnt so cheesy sounding and forcibly macho god hates us
    snakesson
    The reviews are not objective, nor can they be expected to be objective if written by an idiotic metal-head who claims trveness to be the root of all. But an Avenged Sevenfold should not get 8.9.
    Andy81
    slash.r0cks wrote: Arguably the best album they've produced lyrically and there's some good songs here and there, but I'm really sick of seeing "love" reviews for any band. A good review is balanced and not having everything as 10/10. I'm a diehard A7X fan, but I wouldn't rate the album 10. There's some really good songs on here like Victim, Fiction and Save Me, but songs like Buried Alive really let the album down.
    Buried Alive + Natural born killers are my fav songs on the album
    IPlaySynth
    Of course, anybody posting a negative review gets the sh*t beaten out of them. Typical pseudo-hardcore fanboyism.
    metalinyourass
    i got through part of the first review and it lost all credibility by stating "...felt the band was abandoning some imagined hardcore roots, when in reality, A7X were never a hardcore band that pledged any allegiance to that scene; they were taking Iron Maiden-riffs and in turn screaming and singing over them, coming up with a modern and unheard of sound from the very beginning, so no one I quite sure how hardcore got thrown into the mix!" all i have to say is. they had breakdowns. which is why they were first considered metalcore. Breakdowns. Hardcore=breakdowns. which means. they had hardcore roots. suck my chode.
    Nameless742
    Definately not their best album but, the other factors: The Rev dying, the possibilty of the band splitting has made this emotional and ballad approach relevant and hugely successful. The New material would be way too soft for my standards. but it's more than just music, it's a special tribute to Jimmy. I saw them at Glasgow on the 26th there, and It was certainly one of the most emotional gigs I'll see. The music is relevant to the fans.
    Plan009
    LightxGrenade
    Don't know how to feel about this record. I love A7X but I just can't get into this album. I actually like the self-titled album more than Nightmare. Something about the sound, (and it's not just the absence of The Rev) it just doesn't hit me like their other material does. It feels kind of toned down and as if they're going through the motions. But that's just my opinion, I still support them.
    MegadethFan18
    thenewguy2
    This album sounds the same as every other other a7x album. Surprisingly the only difference in this album is the drumming. But seriously, you wold think with a new member they could change things up a bit, but no, apparently not.
    pandacorn
    I love how people that don't like Avenged go out of their way to put the band down, as if it's going to sway anyones opinion. And listing off players or and you think are better gets you just as far.
    maaaaan some of these reviews are so fanboy-tastic. i mean i love the band and thought the cd is pretty good, but write a real review. not "zomg, they're so cool! wowie i love a7x foREVer!"
    ggstarwizzrd
    i do enjoy this album. the songs are fun to play and i thk each song has its own uniqueness. i give props
    MetalManic 666
    Plan009 wrote: drug.me.2.hell wrote: Name a song Syn can't play the solo for live? He's awesome, and no, I'm not one of those who thinks he's god and I'm not going to start defend him. Just curious. Unbound (The Wild Ride) is the only song they have never played live so the immense Shred-Fest by Syn on the record may have something to do with it But im a big fan of A7X Synyster is very talented but people like Rhoads and Murray eclipse him ! He has much faster material than that on their album Walking The Fallen. The reasons they don't play Unbound is because 1: There's mainly a piano lead which was played by them in the studio, but don't have enough time to put down a guitar on stage and play it in between and 2: Matt's girlfriend sings again in that album for the first time in like 10 years and it would be a pain to get her mic checked for a huge show with her only having a combined stage time of 5 minutes.
    erm you know they could just play the actually song for the piano part? same with the girl singing. It would be difficult. good album
    Quoteman
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: Well, i'm not a huge A7X fan, but you don't have to be to see that they are one of the few mainstream metal bands that experiment and haven't released the same album five times. I'm looking at you Disturbed.
    This. I get it, the guitarist is a liiiiittle bit better, how about some variety now? A7X blew them out of the water at the show I saw, in all fairness Disturbed couldn't get a soundcheck though.
    FearOfTheDuck
    seemeel
    Given the fact that A7X were always some of the most skilled players
    hahaha, nice joke!
    kameleus
    I don't like this release only Nightmare and Welcome to the family are good. I reckon their self produced album (Avenged Sevenfold) was much better. But this is just my opinion.
    Metalfighter
    Can't understand why people like this album. Sick riffs and solos. The only normal song is Natural Born Killer. Very disappointed.
    jrk_beast
    okay, people need to stop dissing this album, people, you are OVER REACTIONG, okay, he doesn't scream as much as sounding the seventh trumpet or waking the fallen, but what he does is great, stop being so caught up in how heavy the reviews say it is, compared to what it is, its heavy no doubt, but screaming isn't the only aspect that makes something heavy, i love this album, and its is great! 100/10
    caroesu11
    the first time i listened to the album i didn't really like it, then i listened again and i loved it. the whole album is dedicated to The Rev, that's why its more easy going then, for example, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. and Syn's solos are amazing. and he plays them spot on live. Matt's vocals are awesome, and whoever questions Mike's skills is plain stupid. if you don't like them stay the **** away from their reviews and articles. they made an amazing album and it has a meaning. They lost their drummer and they still made an amazing album. i'd like to see you people do that.