Sounding The Seventh Trumpet review by Avenged Sevenfold

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jan 31, 2001
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.1 (390 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: Sounding The Seventh Trumpet
0

Sound — 8
The first studio release, a very impressive album, especially considering that the band members were about 17-18 during the time it was first released. It lacks the very impressive harmonics in guitars from the other two CD's, but that's to be expected, seeing as how the band had only one guitarist, until it's re-release, in which the only song re-recorded was the first, to have an insane solo put in.

Lyrics — 7
The lyrics here were definitely more emo than the other albums, but that is to be expected with a band like this during the first release. Personally, the screams do sometimes annoy me a little, as they sound almost like Shadows it stuffing the microphone into his mouth and just screaming noises that sound like lyrics from time to time, a pet peeve I have always had.

Overall Impression — 9
The screams can be a bit annoying at times, but the overall dark, metal, sound and the raw emotion are more than enough to make up for this. I'd recommend listening to it. By far, the best songs here have to be "Warmness on the Soul," "An Epic Of Time Wasted," and "Turn The Other Way." It also shows that Zacky Vengeance, the only guitarist at this time, is still more than just a rhythm guitarist, and can still hold his own in the world of metal and the many sub-genres that make it up.

35 comments sorted by best / new / date

    chapaton3
    qwert12345 wrote: hahaha, man them bands wanna make me sl it my wrists, they suk @$$
    You are a little emo fagget arent you
    SGofawesome
    SGofawesome wrote: chapaton3 wrote: some good bands actually are august burns red, underoath, haste the day, all that remains and alot better bands than this one. Wow, is anybody NOT hating this guy right now?
    And not everyone has to agree with you just because you like christian bands. You sir are a poser. I'm a hardcore christian too, but music doesn't bother me, so shut up.
    iH8CarAccidents
    Dude, Chapton3 calm dowwwwn. First of all, Relient K and Switchfoot were cool before they went mainstream. Relient K still has a few good songs on their new album, but mostly it's a little too fluffy for my liking. (Like "Must Have Done Something Right." Yech. But "Devestation and Reform" was pretty good.) And OneRepublic... Well that's just personal preference I guess, but don't bring them up on an Ultimate GUITAR site. And you can't just say other people's music sucks. That's your opinion. You can say that certain bands are more TALENTED than others. (As in Lamb of God is more talented than Fall Out Boy, but Fall Out Boy makes more money because they write more mainstream stuff.) And Avenged Sevenfold can outshred any of the bands you've listed so far. And outdrum. So don't go around claiming you know more about good music than anyone else. And don't argue with me on this. you won't win.
    dranzen
    HXC_Slamming Synyster was not on this album and neither was johnny christ
    SleepOutside
    chapaton3 wrote: you dont know what good music is apparently. avenged sevenfold sucks. what is anyone going to do about all of you posers suck horribly. yall dont know what music is. do something about it. oh wait you cant because you know they suck. pwnd. try your best to burn me.
    seriously... if you dont like it, why the f*** are you bothering to comment?? and enough of the homophobia... qwert12345 is right anyway, they sound like crap (to anyone over the age of 6 that is...) avenged sevenfold own them. easily. and OneRepublic? please!!! even if you are that sad, keep it to yourself...
    'a7xrocz'
    uh... Jonny wasnt in the band when stst came out and synyster gates only played on the first song
    nate_dogg083
    this album is riddled with enough meaningfull screams to scare off Jehova Witnesses from 2 miles away.
    i lol'd cuz im a jw...this is an awesome album and any1 who says they sold out can die
    SGofawesome
    chapaton3 wrote: some good bands actually are august burns red, underoath, haste the day, all that remains and alot better bands than this one.
    Wow, is anybody NOT hating this guy right now?
    legend shredder
    sorry guys, love a7x, but didnt enjoy this album at all, except for to end the rapture and streets. i didnt really like M. Shadows' screaming, or voice in this album at all, in waking the fallen it got better, screaming was still a bit off, but better. oh and to the first reviewer, jonny christ wasnt in STST, he came in 2002 -.-
    chapaton3
    some good bands actually are august burns red, underoath, haste the day, all that remains and alot better bands than this one.
    legend shredder
    chapaton3 wrote: you dont know what good music is apparently. avenged sevenfold sucks. what is anyone going to do about all of you posers suck horribly. yall dont know what music is. do something about it. oh wait you cant because you know they suck. pwnd. try your best to burn me.
    ok ill try my best =) first off, youve posted enough times to make one think that this is the only site that you look at, get a life dude. second, dont come on here and bag out people's bands, i dont go to a OneRepublic review (if there even is one) and pay them out. keep your opinion to yourself, if you hate them, why look at their album. Thirdly, were not posers, posers think they know a band when they've listened to like 4 songs. like the first reviewer, he had no idea. so go back to your OneRepublic and suck a big one.
    A7X > Any Band
    Well said Legend shredder. That was a good way to burn a guy that said avenged suck. Which is a load of **** in my opinion because they are obviously the best band you will find.
    shredheadted
    I havent developed a solid opinion on the album yet, other than shadows was deffinently still trying to find his scream. I know he had surgery and all but, wish he could find it again.
    AceTrooper
    I think that the 'intro song' "To End The Rapture"is one of their best.Although I think that "City Of Evil"is their best(well,after Nightmare I think that I'll make my mind up agin!)this one's a masterpiece:To End The Rapture,Streets,Shattered By Broken Dreams....
    agentofchaos
    chapaton3 wrote: qwert12345 wrote: hahaha, man them bands wanna make me sl it my wrists, they suk @$$ You are a little emo fagget arent you
    ok, first of all i am a christian, 100%. what bugs me most about your comment is that you previously name Christian metal bands ( yes there is such a thing ). but then after naming all these "moral worthy" bands, you go and call people dooches and faggots. you are being a hypocrite and nothing else. i respect your taste in music, but youre going against everything you say you stand for (in your die-hard, exclusiveness to christian music) by being completely vulgar in your comments and hating on a band that pours their emotions into every song they write. you must've missed The Golden Rule when you were in Sunday School bud, "do unto others as you would have done unto you"... btw... PWNED
    iH8CarAccidents
    .Sidewinder. wrote: It's An Epic Of Time Wasted, not An Epic Waste Of Time. lol. Lips of Deceit, not Lips of Deceipt. lol. Synyster, not Synester. Zacky, not Zacky . otherwise, nice reviews.
    Dude, you spelled Zacky the same twice. Haha.
    chapaton3
    you dont know what good music is apparently. avenged sevenfold sucks. what is anyone going to do about all of you posers suck horribly. yall dont know what music is. do something about it. oh wait you cant because you know they suck. pwnd. try your best to burn me.
    wingnutt003
    idk ive had a hard time getting into this album bc of the guitar work some are very good but they cleanup quite a bit in waking the fallen and even cleaner in city of evil i think this next album is gonna be there best
    SchitzoJoe
    chapaton3 wrote: They Suck Like A Mother. They Dont Know Anything About The End Rapture. They Dont Know How to Play Music.
    song was called "to end the rapture" not "the end rapture" two completely different things and stop hating on bands just because they aren't perfect according to your biblical standards.
    GodofCheesecake
    Waking The Fallen is the best A7X album by far, but when you take into consideration the guys were all under 20 when they wrote this album, it's still ****ing amazing
    BassB3ast123
    What's ****ing amazing is the fact that people stopped liking A7X just because Matt stopped screaming.
    chapaton3
    They Suck Like A Mother. They Dont Know Anything About The End Rapture. They Dont Know How to Play Music.
    Jesus_Rev
    I love alll songs by A7X and those people that say they're bull crap cuz of city of evil.. well they obviously were mastibating when they wrote their comments so they couldnt realizing what they were writing cuz although they changed style of music it still kicks-ass!!
    chapaton3
    SchitzoJoe wrote: chapaton3 wrote: They Suck Like A Mother. They Dont Know Anything About The End Rapture. They Dont Know How to Play Music. song was called "to end the rapture" not "the end rapture" two completely different things and stop hating on bands just because they aren't perfect according to your biblical standards.
    they shouldnt write a song that they dont know anything about it is not my standard i just do what God Says. I think YOu Just Got Owned No QUestions Ask
    chapaton3
    EldonsName24 wrote: can you name any better bands? **** i dont think so
    Yeah I Can. Switchfoot, Relient K, OneRepublic. I Have A Huge List. Are You Ready To Be Showed Up?
    LeadHead13
    ya know what "chapaton3" those were good bands when i was 5 its time to grow up try banging ur head a little it might feel good
    chapaton3
    You know leadhead13. i love headbanging but to good music. so why dont you grow up and listen to music that really does make you feel good.
    chapaton3
    by the way....just from your comment i can see that your name really is for you because you seem like you are a lead head. deuche
    agentofchaos
    ok, first of all i am a christian, 100%. what bugs me most about your comment is that you previously name Christian metal bands ( yes there is such a thing ). but then after naming all these "moral worthy" bands, you go and call people dooches and faggots. you are being a hypocrite and nothing else. i respect your taste in music, but youre going against everything you say you stand for (in your die-hard, exclusiveness to christian music) by being completely vulgar in your comments and hating on a band that pours their emotions into every song they write. you must've missed The Golden Rule when you were in Sunday School bud, "do unto others as you would have done unto you"... btw... PWNED ps, sorry if this is a double post, wasnt showing up)
    chapaton3 wrote: qwert12345 wrote: hahaha, man them bands wanna make me sl it my wrists, they suk @$$ You are a little emo fagget arent you