Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

The sound of this CD is absolutely crystal! The recording is really great and the production is mint. I was impressed when I listened to this CD as I bought it on a whim as I had a ten left after purchasing Alexisonfire's self titled album. The band pull together really nicely and create an unusual anti-traditional style. The music itself has a very contradictory style - which is great - completely turning metal on its head. They have a sound which parallels with bands such as Funeral For A Friend, My Chemical Romance and The Haunted but also has elements of Metallica, CKY and Maiden. I also noticed a distinct link to punk bands such as The Bronx, The Bled and most notably AFI and AKO. This does not make the CD bad infact on the contrary it creates something unusual and quite incredible, like nothing I have ever heard before. The guitar combines heavy riffage with tapping and hard solid solos notably comparible to the style of Nuno Bettencourt. The vocals are strong and clear combining Bruce Dickinson, Davey Havok and an almost Dani Filth type death metal growl. The drums and bass surprisingly light but still proud in the mix. A very impressive album!

At some points the lyrics verge on unbearable teenage poetry reminiscent of many post H/C, sXe and Emo bands. At other points the lyrics are well thought out deep and emotional. I was impressed at some points and at others very aggrivated. I enjoyed listening to M. Shadows (lead vocals) vocals as he uses a variation of styles and it sounds really great although at some points the lyrics are completely inconceivable especially when he goes into his growling and shouting moments, fortunately this is made up for with his sweet anthemic chorus vocals. This is particularly noticeable on second track "Unholy Confessions" which is the single from the album. Overall I thought the lyrics match the music there is a continuing theme of love and death throughout the album (in a non-emo sense) which I really enjoyed and thought really complied with the heavy dark sense of forboding and regret that the music portrays. In conclusion lyrics are average singing is great and the themes are good. Unfortunately I feel let down by the poor lyrics at some points. But you can't win them all. Average!

It compares to many other artists but at the same time it is completely original if I had to name fives bands to compare this cd too it would be AFI, Funeral For A Friend, The Bronx, Maiden and Ako. The standout tracks are "Reminissions" worth buying it just for that, "Chapter Four", "I won't see you tonight - Part 1" and "Second Heartbeat". This album is definitely irreplaceable the only cds I own that really envy its place in my cd player are Lostprophets - Start Something, Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation, Atreyu - The Curse,Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets and Thursday - War All The Time! This CD is definitely excellent and all time favourite! As a fan of modern music - I know thats strange nowadays when everyone seems to want to listen to old metal - I really thought this is one of the best out there!Oh and one piece of advice: Buy this album - do not download it and help the keep the scene alive!