Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

There is one word that can truly encompass how amazing this cd is: phenomanal! Everything about this cd is crisp, clear, and well done. M. Shadows surprised me with his soft and low voice and also with his loud, high voice. His screams sent chills down my spine and I just can't help but keep pressing repeat on "I won't see you tonight Part 1" Zacky Vengeance and Synyster gates may be the greatest new-age axemen alive, along with Jade Puget "Afi", they put an entirely new spin on hardcore rock with their complex, yet amazing guitar riffs in some songs, and then their amazing solos in others. The reason I think most people like this band so much is because they are so musical, everything in their songs makes sense, and because all of their songs are like epics going on for 6, 7, 8, even 9 minutes sometimes. When my girlfriend first heard the song "I won't see you tonight "Part 1" she cried, they have a very real sense to their music. Overall. the sound is amazing!

Their lyrics are just as good if not better than their music. They are lyrics you would look at and kinda wonder how they would fit it into a song. They shatter the rules of rhyming and the whole "Verse-chorus-Verse" thing in a song. There are mamny songs on the cd that don't even sound like they have a chorus. But their lyrics put a dark spin on love and a truly inspring emotion in music. If M. Shadows was not as amazing as he is, then I think that the lyrics would not be as powerful. In "Reminissions", you can feel the pain and anguish and in Parts one and two of the epic "I won't see you tonight" you can feel the horrible feeling of loss and suicide in the air as you listen to it. These lyrics realy got to me and that is whay they stay in my head throughout the day. Amazing

My favorite band ever is Afi and these guys are right up there with them. They really pour theirs hearts out in their music. They are not afraid to talk about happenings in life that need to be talked about like death, love, and despair.If I had to pick out four songs from the album. I wouldchose "And all things will end"; because it is such a beautiful song and a great finisher for the album. "I won't see you tonight Part 1" because it is so many songs boiled into one that if that were all that was on the cd, I would buy it still. "Unholy confessions" because it brings back the in-your-face slammin guitar of metallica and Maiden. Ane finally, "Second Heartbeat" because they made that a modern-day guitar anthem unlike any before. I do not think there is anything I could possibly not like about this cd, except for that at the end of "I won't see you tonight part 1" there is no huge guitar solo fading out. If my "waking the fallen" cd was stolen or broken, first, I would kill whoever did it, and second of all, I would buy a new one and listen to it for a week straight. One of the best cd's ever made!