Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

Sound of this album? Epic is a good place to start, atmospheric, intelligent and awesome. I loved the thick distorted guitar tone and superb vocals throughout. This is one of the few albums that I've noticed an important contribution from drums, so thats good too. I really dislike downtuned metal as a rule so to find myself in awe of the brutally thick riffs on offer here was quite surprising. The album is chock full of cool riffs (try Eternal Rest) and excellent harmony lines (my favourite probably on Second Heartbeat). As a guitarist this is probably my favourite record. It has precise complementary rhythm work from Zachy Vengence (evry band has to have some fault, here its stupid names) and awe inspiring lead work. The finale melody to shred solo on second heartbeat is surely the one of most exciting solos youll hear in some time. If you like punk, hardcore, thrash, or if like me youre into shred then this record will not disappoint, I love it and there are only about 6 solos!

Impressive throughout. Best rock singer I've heard since Axl Rose (not being sarcastic, Rose is a good singer). Lyrics actually have meaning! Not only that but the band has picked the kind of dark themes that perfectly match the music. The screamo vocals arent really my thing but they are executed well and are easy enough to decipher, the melodies however are awesome, catchy, well hard to describe - trust me when I say it's good.

I love pretty much all this album, it has reinvigorated my practice as I strive to play Synester Gates solos (thanks to guys who tabbed that stuff). The only thing I dislike is, I'll be honest I'm struggling. Most impressive songs; cool heaviness and awesome shred intro of Eternal Rest, fabulous melodies and solo on Second Heartbeat, probably the most awesome chorus ever of I Won't See You Tonight and Chapter 4 has some great vocal hooks. As with all great albums there are no weak tracks, I just had the aforementioned particularly in my head at time of writing. If this album were stolen I would recommend the thief run very, very fast and don't stop.