Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

Before listening to this album, I had just heard city of evil, and I liked it, so I got this one. It's just amazing. Compared to COE, it's totally different. Maybe the guitar solos of COE are more of a "shredding" style and the bass lines are more powerful. But in my opinion WTF is like 2394785 times more meaningful (does that word exist?) and powerful that the new one. Almost every single song tells you something, makes you feel one way, its not just music going on track after track, which is a thing I can't say about COE. Chapter Four is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, the way M. Shadows sings/screams just blows me away. And the drums line are furious throught all the album like I had hardly ever heard before in a heavy metal album. Just awesome.

The lyrics are all about death, suicide and so on. That might sound a bit depressiving, but don't worry about that 'cause most of the time M. Shadows is screaming and you won't understand a single word. The voice really fits the music. Like I said before, Chapter Four has an awesome demonstration by M. Shadows of the extreme emotional power of his voice. Unfortunately, after this album he suffered from some kind of throat disease, I'm not sure what it was exactly, and after the surgery.. Well, listen to COE and compare. I hope this guy can someday return to the pervious singing, because that perfect combination of screaming and singing was just amazing. If you've seen this guys live, you'll understand me when I say M. Shadows is one of the most talented metal singers out there.

This is the best album of the band. It sounds far better than Sounding The Seventh Trumpet and I think it beats City Of Evil, especially because of the voice. I love everything about this album, there's not a single thing I wouldn't change in it. Maybe they could have written a guitar solo for some songs like Unholy Confessions, or more presence of the bass lines. But it's still unbelievable. My favourite songs are (I've seen most people agree) Chapter Four, Second Heartbeat, Remenissions and I Won't See You Tonight (Part I). These guys are the most talented heavy metal band since the days of Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden. If somebody stole the album he would be probably Harry Potter because I have the album downloaded in the computer, not in CD. But I think I will buy it, 'cause trust me, this album is worth it.

powerstroke
    Kickass album. Easily the best by them, and definetly one of the best albums of the past few years. And to Kiotaka, City of Evil is good, but Waking the Fallen kicks its ass by a longshot.