Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

The last of Avenged Sevenfold's metalore albums, Waking The Fallen leaves a deep impressionwith the listener. This is probably Avenged Sevenfold's best album, masterfuly combinging thumping riffs with face-melting giutar solos, beautiful melodies and catchy chorus. Synyster Gates guitar playing revolutionised Avenged Sevenfold's sound, takingthem out of the same-old-same-old and making them something completely different. They use everything from intense vocal effects and atmospherics (Waking The Fallen) to flamenco guitar (Remenissions) andpiano (I Won't See You Tonight Part 1).

For a metalcore album, Matt Shadows writes some very deep lyrics. For eample, "Chapter Four" is the story of Cain and Able told from Cain's perspective. The chorus itself is only four line "I'm coming to kill you, Won't leave until you've died, Murder born of vengance, I'll close my brother' eyes tonight" And then Cairvoyant Disease gets it's message across skillfully with the bridge "Don't acknowledge right, Just dwell on wrong, This spot in hell's where I belong, I've come so far, it's been so long, Don't know why it started or where it came from" Matt Shadows really appears to have worked on his voice since Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, using a lot more melodic singing and 'melodic' screaming.

In my opinion, Waking The Fallen is Avenged Sevenfold's best album. Sounding the Sventh Trumpe was far too much screaming and noise for my liking, and City of Evil just starts to sound all the same. My favourite songs are (in order): Remenissions, Chapter Four, Clairvoyant Disease, Desecrate Through Reverance, Waking The Fallen and Eternal Rest. If this CD was stolen, I would get it again.

Maurice(GUN)
    Waking The Fallen Is Good Album But Not As Good As City Of Evil. M. Shadows Voice Stand Out More On City Of Evil Then On Waking The Fallen! U Could Barely Understood What He's Saying. The Only Time He's Voice Is Really Heard Is On Unholy Confessions When He's At The BreakDown Part And On I Won't See You Tonight Part 1. But Still It's A Good Album I Just Think The Direction They Are Going With City Of Evil Is Great!!