Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

My cousin's close friend first showed me "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold. I heard and heard the guitar jamming with pinch harmonics, palm muting and harmony and after the first two minutes I knew I had to get this CD. Before I did, I investigated more through this punk, screamo rock musical group and listened to Eternal Rest, Chapter Four, Radiant Eclipse, and a song that is in another album, "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, the guitarists of the band and their teamwork is absolutely amazing with their harmonies. The Rev is banging those drums and he's good! M. Shadows, the main singer is tearing the microphone. Their bass player is great also; Johnny Christ. The opener Waking the Fallen is quick and short has a great melody and the singer sings like you can fell the voice ringing through your ears. For a short song, it beats many others! There has been gossip going around one of the compact disc's best song "Chapter Four" and has two harmonized melodies, are Rhythm man Zacky moves his power chords around everywhere from my sound impression and in the intro the Rev goes crazy! He hits 4 per second with his other hand hitting the crash three times in quarters. To me, the Rev and Neil Peart are the two drum legends!

The lyrics are amazing and good toned; The group's singers has a completely different voice and their voices makes a great combination. The main singer M. Shadows has a high pitched sound and is the screamo singer. However, he has his disadvantages. One is a voice with no lyrics but sings with a very high but harmonic voice. The last has a low voice; which in my impression has the best voice. Most of their songs are very depressing and sad. In Eternal Rest, the song is telling the story is about children in poverty and is suffering and tells it with detail. Once again in Chapter Four, the low, the scream, and the high make the song a great way to say that Avenged Sevenfold is truly the best! Once again in Chapter Four, the low, the scream, and the high makes the song a great way to say that Avenged Sevenfold is truly the best!

To me out of the CD's (Waking The Fallen & Sounding The Seventh Trumpet) I have, this one is the best one of all! I think it's impressive because in "I won't see you tonight," the group were so psyched out about making a song that they had to make a part 1 and part 2! I love it because it's a hardcore, metal core band and I can compare it to the band Bullet For My Valentine; has a screamer, high voice singer, and a good low singer. There is nothing I hate about it at all! If my CD was lost, I would buy a new one. If someone stole it; I suggest the thief opens their eyes when they sleep because he will be headless the next morning with a missing stolen CD of Waking the Fallen.

mason092
    This is the best A7X album. Why is this uts getting reviewed now, its old.
    wildchild6660
    The idiot compares it to Slipknot? They're too totally different bands. How do you compare?
    woodworth
    This Album Is Home To (imo) The Greatest Heavy Riff Ever (Unholy Confessions) This Is Every Member Of The Bands Greatest Work (Excluding Afterlife)...My One Last Thing Is This Has The Best Ending To Any Album Ever! (And All Thuings Will End) The Outro Solo Gives Me Shivers Every Time! All In All, AWESOME F***ING ALBUM!!!!
    EldonsName24
    Okay I'm gonna ignore you critical bastards who can't understand music and how hard it is to make and go on say that THIS ALBUM ROCKS!!! I got it in my pocket right now and for it you should have crystal treble and deep bass (especially on Track.4 the "If we didn't have hope how would we behave...Boom! that parts sweet) but anyways all songs good very Progressive/Agressive Second Heartbeat Rocks
    TDAJGuitarist
    For everybody who thinks this is there best CD...Your dumb...Its there worst....I mean...Its still good but nowhere near as amazing as City Of Evil,The Self Titled, OR Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.....
    Murderface x3
    xcrunner1 wrote: wakemxbmx89 wrote: does anybody else think that unholy confessions intro riff sounds exactly the same as as i lay dying song reinvention i dont think they copied them but they were released only a month apart but No they're not the same, just similar kinds of hammer-ons and pull-offs. A lot of metalcore sounds similar for a reason.
    Could that reason be that they are all the same band?
    xcrunner1
    Apocalypse4162
    I think most of us didn't hear of A7X until City Of Evil, I thought they were a rap band from their name until I heard them and fell in love with them, I want more stuff like Waking The Fallen and City Of Evil. The new stuff is alright, I like that they did a lot of experimentation, but nothing really stuck out, I'm looking forward to their next album, it's going to be back to what they're best at for sure, I think their self titled was just an experimental growth thing, a spurt of randomness they needed to get it out before they lost it, now theyve got that out of their system, it's back to the style theyre meant for, and it's the most amazing new guitar work I've heard from such a sweet band.
    Apocalypse4162
    This is the best new(er) album out there, and this is BY FAR the best band that I have heard since the older stuff, it's beautiful music, I cant say enough great things about it, and this album just blows my mind, I listen to it almost everyday when I drive, it's great to drive to. Just don't overlook this album, get it, now, it's the best thing you'll hear in a long time.
    Mcfraggins
    lolz
    Nor'Easterbass wrote: i honestly thingk this is the best album i have ever heard. i love this band and the metal they crank out, but i HATE the following of effing 13-15 year-old goth chicks who think Matt Sanders and the rest are hot. Go die. Become emo chicks and slit your goddamn wrists. Amen.
    Andraysexy
    did anyone esle realize that IWSYT pt.1 is the only song on th album that isn't in d minor? when a band donesn't change their time signature or key, then they suck balls. i respect brian for being such a wicked guitar player, but the rest of the band relied on him btw, for all the n00bz who think the rev is actually good, check out danny carey, neil pert, buddy guy, bonzo or anyone else that is ACTUALLY good on the kit. so much ignorance in todays music...
    wakemxbmx89
    Vengeance7
    I've been with them since Waking The Fallen, and Waking The Fallen blows Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, City of Evil, and the Self-titled album completely away. Sure, City of Evil has crazy guitar riffs, but listen to the lyrics. Beast and the Harlot is about Hollywood, Bat Country is about drugs, I mean, there is no passion as far as the lyrics go in my opinion. I'll admit, Strength of the World and M.I.A. are good, but thats it. Waking the Fallen has passion. Every song says something meaningful, yet different to me.
    skateuponsabbat
    this was pretty much the first hardcore album i ever bought and i was hooked for MONTHS thats y im sad to see the direction they went on city of evil and their self titled. their music is still great but DEFINETLY missing a lot
    STFU_Nao
    read the date, this was reviewed in 2005. People just keep bringing it back up with comments