Waking the Fallen review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Avenged Sevenfold: Waking the Fallen

This album, "Waking the Fallen" by Avenged Sevenfold is a lesson to all bands out there on how to create a sound. Some bands try to change their sound throughout their many albums, from one album to the next. On this album, Avenged Sevenfold successfully changes their sound, on just one CD. This isn't just one of those albums that bands release for the sole purpose of having a few "radio hits". This band didn't have any radio hits. Probably because their songs aren't fit to enter the mainstream. None the less, it has a sound that most people would like. Meanwhile, you can tell that every single song on the album had extensive work put into it. The vast majority of them have catchy riffs that you can't create off the top of your head. They take time to perfect. With this band's prior album, "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet", they decided to scream on the entire album. While not a choice I was fond of, they felt that was their style. This album brought singing into their music without losing the sound that the screaming creates. Every song tells a different story with it's own unique sound, and doing that front to back is a feat that not many bands can pull off. Though if you're not a fan of the angry yelling/screaming type music, this may not be the album for you as there are a lot of times when he lets his frustration out into songs.

The lyrics in this album may not be as highly regarded as lyrics that other bands create, but there is no denying that the lyrics in each song do very well to match the mood of that song. That is usually the main goal, to make lyrics that fit with the song. Some of the lyrics such as the ones in "Chapter Four" refer to biblical times. Others, such as in "Radiant Eclipse" tell a struggle of a man. With the powerful lyrics that are created, M. Shadows does a very good job of singing/screaming them in a way that fully emits the perfect tone to the listener. He doesn't just have one voice throughout the whole album, but his voice has different tones throughout different songs that are able to fit the mood needed. In songs such as "I Won't See You Tonight Pt.1", his voice creates feelings of both anger and sorrow. The way he sings is usually the high point of many of the songs and without his unique voice, these songs would just be shells with no real direction.

Compared to the other albums by this band, Waking the Fallen is their best work although City of Evil is not far behind. And as far as other artists go, I have yet to see something that can match the originality and sound that this album produces. It's hard to mention a song or two from the album because all of them are great in their own way. They don't use the same strategy to make each song great but instead they find a new way to make it noteworthy. Be it a catchy chorus as in "Chapter 4" or a thrilling intro followed by a epic breakdown as in "Eternal Rest", the songs on this album cannot be linked to each other as Avenged Sevenfold has made each one of them unique. They even show a soft side with the acoustic chorus in "Reminnisions" and the heart rendering power ballad "I Won't See You Tonight Pt.1". And just when you thought Synester Gates was an average guitarist, he shows you the full extent of his skills with the ear bleeding outro solo in "Second Heartbeat". Though after listening to this album, you may think you have their sound figured out, they come at you with the ending song of the album "And All Things Will End." It sounds completely different from the rest of the album and the outro solo must change tempo a good 10 times. Overall, I have never owned an album that has affected me the way this one does. I usually get tired of listening to songs after awhile but it doesn't seem to happen with this album, it just blows me away. If there was something I hate about it, it would have to be the fact that most of the song titles don't fit very well. Almost none of the titles are actually used in the song which leads to not even knowing which song is which. There is no way to tell because the song title has nothing to do with the actual song. They seemed to have corrected this in later albums as they actually do use the song title within the lyrics now. Just something that bands are able to correct over time and Avenged Sevenfold have done a good job of this. If you are a fan of power rock, a bit of screamo, or just some killer guitar, be sure to pick up this album.

xunholyknightx
    BEST ALBUM OF All TIME but seriously anything a7x does is awesome! they are creative and like to change things up and keep things fresh! waking the fallen however is their best album!
    SG-Burchett
    queenslander47 wrote: Hands down best A7X album. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 is the best song they've ever written IMO.
    +10000 didn't like STST at all when it came out and i kinda ignored the band until they released seize the day as a single and decided to back track and listen to all their stuff. best album- and IWSYT pt.1 is their best song hands down.
    \m/A7X\m/
    two words second heartbeat two more words: ****. yes.
    One more word: WIN!
    queenslander47
    JaxBOM
    oTOOLo wrote: two words second heartbeat
    two more words: ****. yes.
    danizzlesnizzle
    This album is truly incredible. I hardly like metal at all, but this album really does it for me. I mean for me I would listen to a Coheed (my favorite band) song, then an Eagles song, then a Beyonce song, and right on the a song off this album. I guess the reason their last albums kind of suck is because they had already reached perfection here, and can't come back to it (just kidding, I know about his vocals getting kind of ****ed up from this).
    A7Xrules666
    this is by far their best album! i like the screaming better than the ones in STST in their other albums after waking the fallen, they became less heavy, i hope the new album is more like this one
    shredheadted
    My favorite Sevenfold album by far. Also my first sevenfold album. At the time I listened to pretty much only thrashy metal and whatever happened to be on the radio (ashamedly), so the screaming hit me hard at first. But it grew on me fast. The shredding by Synyster is amazing, and the drums are insane. This is also a good album for younger teens looking to break away from mainstream music without being labled a rebel (or whatever you want to say) and looked down on in your local community too much because of the numerous bible refrences (which you wont notice until you crack open the lyric book, or if you arent interested in it). If you get a Sevenfold album, make it this one.
    stigno89
    SGofawesome wrote: If only people actually knew the real A7X, instead of city of Evil and the self-titled, this is A7X at their best!
    so true man, CoE was a good album, and the self-titled wasn't bad, but WtF is easily my fave, it has everything
    xunholyknightx
    You know this album is good when it was a completely underground release and it has gone gold!! BEST ALBUM EVER
    SGofawesome
    tgregory2010
    i love all the music on here, it just goes to show how great of a duo syn gates and zacky v are
    cracchiolo
    I LOVE AVENGED SEVENFOLD!!!!! this cd is one of the greatest cd's ever! every song kicks ass synyster gates has got to be one of the greatest guitar players of all time this cd will make you and break you over and over again! get this cd if you don't have it already!
    synyster9558
    WAKING THE FALLEN IS MY FAVE ALBUM!!!!!1 I LOVE SYNYSTER GATES CUZ HE IS HOT AND HE IS THE LEAD GUITARIST! AND VENGEANCE... OH ZACKY! AVENGED SEVENFOLD CAME OUT IN 1999 AND THE 6661 ON ZACKY VENGEANCES GUITAR IS REALLY THE 1999 JUST FLIPPED AROUND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRAZING THAT AWESOME DEVIL!!!!!
    synyster9558
    OH EM GEE!!!!1 AHHHHH AVENGED SEVENFOLD IS MY FAVE. BAND IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! AHHHHH!!!! AND THAT IS AN AWESOME REVIEW!!!!! SYNYSTER GATES # ONE FAN
    guitarfreak222
    Mitchaell wrote: guitarfreak222 wrote: These guys would be good if their choruses weren't so damn poppy. I think they should be a tad heavier, then they would be perfect. Nah its a perfect album
    Oopsies, wrong album, this comment is supposed to be in the city of evil album.. Yeah this album is perfect!
    A7Xfan219
    waking the fallen is the best a7x album.period.If only they would come back to the golden days....
    Mitchaell
    Nah its a perfect album
    guitarfreak222
    appledave
    avenged sevenfold is the worst band in the world....and this is the worst album yet from them coming from a long line of bad albums
    legend shredder
    so sick of posers saying a7x is the greatest band in the world -.- there not, there friggin good, i love em, but god seriously. its all a matter of opinion. anyway great album 9/10. a massive improvement over STST. (i hated STST btw).