Goodbye Lullaby review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: Mar 2, 2011
Avril Lavigne: Goodbye Lullaby

After a long hiatus, 26-year-old Avril Lavigne is back with her impressive fourth studio album, Goodbye Lullaby. This is not a Let Go 2.0, neither Under My Skin 2.0, nor The Best Damn Thing 2.0. What was created in late 2008, Lavigne decided to shed her snarly punk princess persona from her third effort, and return back to her roots from the 2002 Grammy nominated record, Let Go and the 2004 rocker, Under My Skin. The album was done to be released on June 2010, but Lavigne's record label, RCA, wanted her to balance out the album with some radio friendly material. On August she starts working on songs with the producer Alex Da Kid, and said some songs would have a mix of hip-hop and rock music. However Lavigne had to fight with her label, because she wanted to an acoustic album, with a focus in her voice, instead of upbeat's mainstream songs. Well she did! Almost all of her song are acoustic-rock oriented, influenced by indie-rock/indie-pop and soft-rock music, but some of the songS sound really difference from her older work, although it seems like an album where Let Go meets Under My Skin a l Alanis Morissette/Dolores O'Riordan. 01. Black Star: this is an intro, it's a lullaby, sounds like some Coldplay song 02. What The Hell: a crappy power pop-punk that doesn't reflect her whole album, it's the most pop track of the album, and less personal of Avril. It was just a mainstream song that the label wanted. 03. Push: it sounds like any Alanis Morissette song (see 'All I Really Want''), good vocals. 04. Wish You Where Here: it reminds me of a mix of Let Go and more of Under My Skin. It is kind of mediocre, but the vocal's climax it's so orgasmic 05. Smile: catchy-upbeat rock song 06. Stop Standing There: it's bouncy, it's different, it's catchy. Her vocals have a desperate urgency to them which really adds to the song's atmosphere. 07. I Love You: very interesting beat to it. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but when the chorus kicks in, such a catchy song! 08. Everybody Hurts: I thought it would be depressing. It turns a negative into a positive. Sounds kinda Blink-182's ''I miss You'' but with and indie vibe. 09. Not Enough: wow a good acoustic intro broke into a rock chorus. Sounds similar to ''With Me'' by Sum41. The musical style it's oriented like those 90s grunge ballads 10. 4 Real: the verses are a bit boring, but the chorus gets better. It's a good ballad. But it's such a cool and deep song, with indie music vibe. Sounds pretty similar to some Dolores O'Riordan songs 11. Darlin: the simplicity of the instrumental means that Avril's voice really comes through and drives the song, which is what she said she'd wanted to achieve. This song is certainly not single-worthy but it is a nice listen 12. Remember When: it leaves a bittersweet taste, tugging at your heart throughout. Like ''Not Enough'', this song have those '90 grunge-ballad oriented sound 13. Goodbye Lullaby: I love the piano and the strings. It's beautiful yet really sad. It's Lavigne's most personal song on the album, and where she named it.

The explicit attitudinal cheery number, Smile, reflects Lavigne's rebel-like vibe with the bratty lyrics, You know that I'm a crazy bitch / I do what I want / When I feel like it. The pre-chorus is a sure fired up hit maker in the making with a cheery chorus that follows, You're the reason why I smile. The song, clearly directed at current boyfriend Brody Jenner chants, I woke up with a new tattoo / Your name was on me / And my name was on you. (Both Lavigne and Jenner have tattoos of each other's names.) In I Love You, Max Martin helped deliver is highly reminiscent of Jen Leckman's, Your Arms Around Me, while Lavigne sings, La, la, la, along with the melody and is almost shortly identical to that of Alanis Morissette's hit, Thank U, during the bridge's, oh, oh. Though the tune holds its own and could easily be a radio hit, Lavigne makes a slight hint towards ex-husband Deryck Whibley with the bridges lyrics, Even though we didn't make it through / I am always here for you. Push, written by Lavigne and best friend Evan Taubenfeld (whom coincidentally duets on the track), starts out with an acoustic vibe with jumbled fast paced lyrics. Though the chorus comes across screechy, the lyrics are very reminiscent of the rebel Lavigne with the lyrics, I'm capable of taking care of myself / So if you f--k this up / Than go take a hike. The tough love track was produced by Lavigne's ex-husband, Deryck Whibley, front man of Sum 41. Also produced by Whibley was the clap-finger snap-cutesy track Stop Standing There, self-penned by Lavigne which starts off with a frustrated Avril wondering what's going on in her significant others head. You're just standing by / You're just wasting time / Why don't you just tell me the truth / About me and you? The probing Lavigne sings in the bridge, Stop standing there / Stop acting like you don't care / Stop being scared, and ends the number with, Please tell me who you are / So I can show you who I am. Black Star, a twinkling star-like melody is only a 1:40 intro into the record, the track was self-written for Lavigne's first fragrance commercials jingle. Lavigne's soft and enchanting voice sings to her fans with the simple words, Forever you will be a shining star. The eleven-year-old in the making track written before Lavigne ever signed a record deal, Darlin' is a cute uplifting acoustic number about wanting better for someone she cares for. Pretty please / I know it's a drag / wipe your eyes and put up your head / I wish you could be happy instead / There's nothing else I can do but love you the best I can, she sings. Everybody Hurts, one of the earliest tracks written for the record starts out with an acoustic melody sure to win over lingered off fans with the first listen. With lost and confusion, Lavigne sings, Don't know if I can do this on my own it seems I'm losing something deep inside of me. With hopelessness, she sings, It feels like nothing really matters anymore, but uplifts the listeners with the chorus, It's okay to be afraid everybody feels this way / and it's okay. It's a reassuring and pleasant listen throughout. The 90s grunge ballads, Not Enough, and Remember When that pop up on the record are ear grabbers from the start. Both reflect Lavigne's recent divorce situation with Deryck Whibley whom coincidently produced both songs. I'm sorry if this hurts you, Lavigne vulnerably warns in the beginning of Not Enough. These feelings I can't take no more / This emptiness in the bottom drawer / It's getting harder to pretend / And I'm not coming back around again, Lavigne sings in the self-penned number Remember When, chorus. The self written tracks on the record, 4 Real, and Goodbye were produced solely by Lavigne, something of which she admits never saw herself doing. But with an impressive first timer producing credentials, Lavigne sings 4 Real's catchy ethereal bridge with the words, Hold me down / Hold me now / I'm safe / I'm sound / When you're around. Goodbye, starts with a piano and cello as Lavigne sings goodbye to her ex-husband as a sense of closure. Always know / That I love you so / Goodbye brown eyes / Goodbye for now / Goodbye sunshine. The lullaby ballad rings, La-lullaby / Help me sleep tonight.

Even the fact that its probably the most emotional, and most personal record, makes it her best. Her voice, her honesty and vulnerability overshadow anything I can possibly try finding wrong with these tracks. People who enjoys the music of Alternative/Indie/Pop-Rock singers-songwriters like Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Dolores O'Riordan, Liz Phair, Joan Osbourne... will love and enjoy the album. It's a master piece!

paramore_fans
    reaper_x wrote: johnyguitar wrote: WHY? Ultimate Guitar....WHY? Because there's GUITARS in her songs.
    exactly
    Grimriffer
    Jasamo
    Wow, any positive praise this album gets... is wrong. I've invented a game for this album, you take a shot for every lyrical cliche. You get so drunk that everyone dies. Worth buying if you're a 10 year old girl with problems grasping the English language.
    Shawn Galea
    lol good one
    paramore_fans
    amazing album, finally Avril is now back to her LET GO/UMS roots haha My fav songs there are STOP STANDING THERE and I LOVE YOU, INDIE POP ROCK influenced songs, haha
    ozzstriker
    I grew up listening to all kinds of heavy metal, hard rock, grunge and even nu metal (unfortunately) and I love some of her music, shes a good singer, I like her lyrics, I like her style, she's pretty and this album actually kinda kicks ass. SO if you don't like Avril, why are you even on here?
    brastelei
    johnyguitar wrote: WHY? Ultimate Guitar....WHY?
    Because she is a work of art . . . and I mean she is sexy!
    paramore_fans
    This is UG site, other genres of music are welcome here including her not only metal or classic rock and roll for music's sake. Avril is amazing!!!
    BenjaminFields
    blackbird51
    definitely!
    Tarsplitter
    Heh, maybe I'll check this out. Oh yeah, so is the album's name "Goodbye Lullaby" or "Goodbye Lullabye"?
    niejel
    this seems interesting . . . I may be cheesy but this is one heck of a good love album.
    heavylite
    The problem with reviewing this album (cd, cassette, 8-track, mini-disk, mp3, etc.) is UG is trying to reach a new audience (ie. expand) while defecting from their base. If UG wants to grow into a site that reviews Avril Lavigne that's fine, but drop the heavy image. You can talk about opinion til' you're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is Lavigne ain't metal, she's not rock, she's not even alt. That said; I'd hit that.
    Brownerz
    demon.guitarist
    Brownerz wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: Probably the most heavy album I have ever purchased. It's so br00tal. Have you even heard anything by Jessie J?! More blast beats than a muther****er!
    Sorry but Michelle Branch is where it's at br00tz wise. Get your djent on.
    JimBonJovi
    johnyguitar wrote: WHY? Ultimate Guitar....WHY?
    There's nothing wrong with having her CD's on this site for review but I question why Eminem is in the CD reviews section. Dumbfounded.
    fuzzthedog
    stndrdprcdre
    motAlize wrote:She wrote 5 songs on this album all alone, the rest with 1 co-writer.
    K, just keep believing that.
    reaper_x
    johnyguitar wrote: WHY? Ultimate Guitar....WHY?
    Because there's GUITARS in her songs.
    Blaise26
    I love Avril! More power to her for coming out with another great album.
    Khaiazizburns
    haah i knew ppl are going to troll about this. sigh maybe you all haters should chill and give a chance to listen rather than flaming your shit out
    Jasonbts
    fuzzthedog wrote: She's still at it? She kind of dropped out of the spotlight... I figured she had either retired or died.
    Sometimes that's when the artist really shines. Look at Rush, they've been huge for years and never really gotten much media attention until the last few years.
    BenjaminFields
    Really metal site. What with all the Bravo mega-video pop-ups advertising 'Bethany Getting Married' @AnoKid09: I like to hit it on the nail, brotha. I'll be here all week. Thank You!
    AnoKid09
    BenjaminFields wrote: Avril Lavigne, her music, her cohorts, motivations are really no different than any pop/rock act...ie, Avenged Sevenfold, Korn, Justin Bieber. See, all these acts appeal to a young demographic (mostly tweens and adults with an unevolved musical tastes). That being said I can't see why having her on ultimate-guitar is sacrilegious. This is a site about GUITARS. That is all. By the way, how much f*ck Avril Lavigne? Anyone?
    I can't even begin to tell you how wrong you are.
    motAlizée
    stndrdprcdre wrote: I can only shake my head and laugh when reviewers talk about her "emotions" that are "coming through" on this record. Like this chick really has (a)real emotions and (b)the talent to actually convey them without the help of a team of songwriters and producers.
    As a huge fan I'd like to shout a number of different things at you, but perhaps this is more informative to the bashing UG audience. She wrote 5 songs on this album all alone, the rest with 1 co-writer. Plus produced 2 songs herself. With the information that is currently known atleast. So thanks and shut up
    stndrdprcdre
    I can only shake my head and laugh when reviewers talk about her "emotions" that are "coming through" on this record. Like this chick really has (a)real emotions and (b)the talent to actually convey them without the help of a team of songwriters and producers. I once watched an interview of this chick and I could have sworn she didn't even have a pulse.
    efferus
    Grimriffer wrote: Been blasting this shit at max volume at the carpark and me and my crew have been slam dancing and headbanging to this shit like mad I tell ya. The sound Nazi tanks driven through France. Damn my neck hurts so ****ing good!
    THIS. Slayer/LOG/Pantera/Cannibal Corpse have nothing on this cd. \m/
    Amy_Lee
    ^ Yehello, it's called opinion. Accept it and move on. I wasn't impressed with "TBDT" and "What The Hell" took a while to grow so I'm not sure whether I will or not...See which other singles she churns out first.