The Best Damn Thing review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Avril Lavigne: The Best Damn Thing

Definitely more pop than her last 2 albums-very catchy with nice lyrical hooks and riffs. Various songs seem to be influenced with her personal favourite bands. For example, "Everything back but you" has similar drum beats to Blink 182 in their "Dude Ranch" days, fast paced, kinda choppy. "I Don't Have To Try" has singing that reminds me of the HorrorPops. Her first single from the album, "Girlfriend" is full of hooks, with stamping and clapping. Think back to the "Hey Mickey, you so fine" song. I especially love the song "Runaway" with it's acoustic strums in the verses switching out to full electric in the choruses. Butch Walker and Evan Taubenfeld are backup vocals on that track, which makes it all the better. Really, I didn't think that I'd like the new album, after I heard Avril describing it as "poppy, bratty, cocky", but surprisingly I'm impressed by the evident growth in her sound. The sound is a bit lighter, very fun, and some tracks are still mellow along the lines of "How Does It Feel" from the second album. What really defines it is the direction, her transitions from verses to choruses, the fact that the tracks will make awesome live concert pieces etc.

Avril admitted in an interview that this album's lyrics are very light, not serious like her previous album. She wrote a lot of the songs while intoxicated, which explains the "I'll drink as much Limoncello as I can, and I'll do it again and again." This isn't to say that it's bad, just that the songs are no longer moody. Very upbeat, happy, carefree. I like the change, I would've have liked another album full of angry words.

My favourite songs from the album are "Runaway", "Best Damn Thing", "Hot", and "Innocence". I love how she worked with Butch and Evan again on this album, as well as Dr. Luke and Avril's husband Deryck Whibley (from Sum 41). She's the executive producer of the album, which is something different from her past CDs. I also have to mention that it isn't as polished as "Let Go," which is very nice. I am slightly disappointed that she didn't work with Raine Maida or Chantal on this one, but I guess she wanted to try something new. If lost or stolen, I'd get my pitbull to track the bastard down.

TJ1991
    Bought this album this morning, so only heard it once. On first impressions I agree completely, 10/10.
    RCalisto
    deanosaurx wrote: i dont mind it. but a 10 out of 10 is totally exaggerated. 10 out of 10 is like....the beatles white album....maybe. id give it a 6.5 or maybe a 7. metalisimortal wrote: kop4 wrote: "HEY HEY HEY I WANNA BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND!" how can this possibly get 10 for lyrics? :S haha agreed, she;s a sell out. but she's totally hot now lol the term sell out is very ignorant. you have to take into consideration that these peoples JOBS are to make music. so if you pass up a promotion at work, then you are not a sell out. otherwise, i'm pretty sure that youd do whatever you can to get a promotion (in most situations), or pay raise in any situation unless you are completely out of your mind. so, even if they change their music to make it easier to sell, then who the hell cares. listen to whate ever you listen to, let the people who like it listen to it, and let it be.
    if u see making music as a job i dont think u are a musician at all.. i dont understand how avril went this low.. i mean.. once i saw a concert of her in tv.. and i was really impressed cus i had only listened to the music which is played on mtv and stuff.. and yet again i was impressed with that girlfriend song.. but not in a good way.. that song is just ridiculous.. i mean.. *clap clap* i wanna be ur girlfriend *clap clap* *a chord* *loop* thats a major sell out..
    scarfacesuit
    clwy87 wrote: Avril is HOT! I don't give a sh*ts a*s bout her songs and how crappy it is but man is she HOT!
    yeah, she is pretty good looking, but after listening to "Girlfriend" i honestly hoped that she was making fun of pop music rather than actually trying. sorry avril... your previous singles were much better
    xdeline!
    i have to say i feel drastically sorry for derecky of sum 41. he`s married to this chick! and he actually makes decent music. ughh...what if sum 41 and avril went on tour!? "hey hey, you you, it makes no difference to me" *shudders*
    RHCP603
    Yeah, or maybe Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, it did stay on the charts for what, fourteen years? I heard girlfriend and i wanted to gouge my ears out. He other music at least had some type of message about life or at least told a good story. That is just crap.
    Musicislife539
    i hate it how she and little kids think there "punk" because they have a fast drumbeat and she died her hair pink. punk is about anti-establishment girlfriends are not establishments. the same with other bands like fall out boy and panic at the disco.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    wtf is this "sellout" crap everyone is bringing in? it's like saying "n00b", it's not cool anymore! some people are simply happy making light, radio-friendly tunes with cliched lyrics. those people are called pop stars. i.e. has the backstreet boys ever "sold out"?
    sk8ero131
    Okay when avirl ****ing lavigne gets a 10/10 you know there might be something wrong, maybe the sign of the apocalypse
    xdeline!
    dude, the bands don't get to choose their genre, it's picked by their manager or whoever sells it. don't blame the bands unless they themselves say their punk.
    Pinkflame190
    I'm sorry but I just don't get her. I mean, she sang these rock songs in "Let Go" that had a lot of meaning, but now, she's dancing around with really short shorts on and singing about stealing another girls boyfriend (I mean, that's really what the song is about). I heard the song "Girlfriend" and I thought is was really bad. The worst part was, it got stuck in my head when I was trying to go to sleep. To sum up, this is NOT a 10/10. Also, I didn't know she was working with Evan again. That's cool, I met him a couple of times because he went to my school. We had the same history teacher, isn't that neat.
    Fat Cent
    how i feel on the subject is that at one point she was a great at making music. but to the people that say she sold out i can partially agree with. the whole point is that the main reason i got into avril lavignes music is that she stood for all that was against britney spears and christina aguilera. When I first heard this cd i was suprised. that's all. i thought the music would be better suited for hillary duff or ashlee simpson. avril has an amazing voice thats for certain, and she still shows it in songs like Keep Holding On, Innocence, and When Your Gone. But those all are slower songs. We all just hate that she's gone from the girl that was badass, who didn't give a damn what anyone thought, and played old school green day songs at concerts, to become the one thing that she's been mocking from the beginning... a very attractive blonde with a seemingly over-produced album. I'll continue to listen to the album because as I said she's great at making music. But it won't be the same as when I used to listen to it. We just have to accept that she's different now, and the Sk8er Girl is gone forever.
    gtferet_41
    travis barker did some drumming in this album, thats probly why it sounds like blink 182 lol
    Nybb
    mfergel : I demo'd the tracks on iTunes and the vocals hurt my ears. Man, what was with the nasally, caterwalling vocals? Reminds me of the snare on Metallica's St. Anger.
    Now there's an association I wasn't expecting.
    Cheesepuff
    Avril Lavigne was a sell out in the 1st place. Now she's just being herself. Go read up on it. She sucks musically but she's damn hot though.
    SMK626
    lmao, the UG ratings keep lowerings.. 2.3... wow... bad review if I've ever heard one and avril IS a sell out I agree with RCalisto If you see music as a job, ur not a musician at all. I mean personally, i thought she was decent for her genre (even though I don't listen to it) but then hearing this. it's pathetic, she's doing the whole sluttier look to get attention now. good for my dick and bad for my ears. she is in fact a sell-out. i mean she was almost rapping in the interlude. come ****ing on. then the whole beats and guitars and omg. complete crap and a sell-out and the UG ratings say so.
    nobles_cranium
    wtf is this "sellout" crap everyone is bringing in? it's like saying "n00b"
    n00b was never cool.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    submitted review: Ms. Lavigne, what you've just made is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    deanosaurx
    Moon_Boots
    This is the problem of fans reviewing albums, it gets very biased. Only a handful of albums ever released deserve to get straight 10s.
    tagyoureit
    This just reminded me of a song by "The Bird and the Bee" the chorus goes, "Would you be my ****ing boyfriend?" I'm not a fan of Avril.
    lyrixgirl
    Now im definately buying the album,i especially wanna hear what she wrote while drunk...
    kop4
    Toady
    Seriously. What? I've reviewed the album for my magazine and it's not a good one. She's experimented with different styles, but some of the songs actually hurt my ears, and I usually quite like her music. There are a couple of gems on it, but the bad songs are so terrible they overshadow any good aspect of the album. Yeah, you can tell she wrote them while she was drunk. I think that's her attempted excuse for why the songwriting is severely lacking.
    mfergel
    clazz
    *cough* That was me posting as Toady, I forgot he was logged in lol. The only thing I agree with in that review, actually, is that Runaway is a good song.
    mfergel
    I demo'd the tracks on iTunes and the vocals hurt my ears. Man, what was with the nasally, caterwalling vocals? Reminds me of the snare on Metallica's St. Anger. Can't stand listening to either.
    rockstarbowker
    mfergel wrote: Does anyone that's NOT a teenager (or at the latest, in college) care about Avril Lavigne?
    Yes I know lots of people.
    CraigKing
    Reaperchris13 : it's bull. there is way better music around to give this 10, and she had 2 albums?!
    Yeah, Let Go was her first and Under My Skin her second, both good tbh. Haven't heard the new one but, i'll give it a go.
    strokes4ever
    seriusly? a 10? some1 must b pullin a prank, this is a dark dark day 4 UG if this is a serius review
    LordThon
    Reaperchris13 wrote: it's bull. there is way better music around to give this 10, and she had 2 albums?!
    Whether or not there is better music should not matter. The rating scale given on this site is designed to rate any particular album, as its own entity. Not as a comparison to other things. Apparently, starbomb13 feels that Avril did really well with what she was aiming for. It's not that the album is literally perfect, and is superior to anything else in existence. Simply that it's perfect Avril.
    kaptink
    Users rating: 3.4 Serves her right for writing catchy music that gets stuck in my hed!
    frantix
    Exactly what I thought, lol. Sorry, but somebody who claims "I really respect Britney Spears, now I know how hard it is to sing and dance at the same time.", does not earn much respect from me. Her first single, Complicated, wasn't that bad, had something catchy, something fresh. But this "Hey, hey"... sh*t, it's just a big fat sell-out, that's my opinion.
    Mahoru
    Well... no comments. The worst thing on Earth, has become even worse; I just thought it couldn't be possible, but now I know how low can "it?" fall. But I also think that THIS is the real Avril: a f***ing silly teenager with a 10-year-old mind who lives in a pink world full of money, handsome boys, barbies and a f***ing pink car with a rabbit drawn on it!
    Frosticle
    You've got to be s***ing all over my chest, this album got 10 out of 10. How many bottles of coff syrup did u drink before you revieved this?
    Divinephyton
    I'm open to a lot of different music styles, although pop not being one of them I must say that there are some good pop songs out there, go listen to those instead, I ,as a music reviewer, was (as a joke) given this CD to review it for ourlocal magazine. Some songs might be ''catchy'' to some, and hey, there are even some songs that I could listen to and not go suicidal within seconds but the music is VERY very basic, simple, the lyrics are very superficial, dumb, shallow and basically below standard. We all know this is a pathetic atempt at being the next pop-princess and the ver youngest among us will probably like it, but for real music listeners, real musicians and real music, this is less than nothing
    Shabalaba
    I heard the new song Girlfriend and thought it was complete cr*p, the lyrics are soo predictable, the guitar sucks. I used to haev respect for her because i thought her old stuff was alright but now i have lost all respect for her
    metalisimortal
    haha agreed, she;s a sell out. but she's totally hot now lol
    QSHooliganAM
    I understand how some people like this kind of music. I personally don't. I just wish people think before they give ratings. Only about 2% of all music deserves all 10's. And if you give it a 10 you better have good, specific reasoning why you did. I don't think Avril Lavigne deserves 10's. I do though somewhat respect what she does. I also disrespect some of what she does also. I just wish some people would be more opened minded about other music and what makes it good.
    TJ1991
    Lyrics deserve maybe 2/10 at most, but the whole album is so damn catchy! I love it! And that's probably weird coming from an AC/DC fan...