The Best Damn Thing review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: Apr 13, 2007
Avril Lavigne: The Best Damn Thing

Avril is back with a new album, and it sounds awesome. Compared to her previous albums, The Best Damn Thing is much, much more upbeat. I would highly suggest you check out her other albums before you fall in love with/hate her because of this one. Like her previous albums, it's all pretty much rhythm guitar and drums. But this time, it's much more upbeat and exciting. You can dance to this CD. It's pop rock at its fullest.

If you are a die-hard lyric fanatic, you will be disappointed, no doubt. The lyrics on the album are very "cat" and "hat" rhyming. Songs such as "Hot" and "Girlfriend" prove this. None the less, they are extremely upbeat and fun. I could see a lot of 8th-10th grade girls relating to these lyrics. While she claims to have been "a little tipsy" while writing a few songs, they seem to be pretty planned out and always fun. Like most of Avril's songs, the talent and melody itself is in the singing. She sounds great on the album. Avril has a voice that you want to hear again and again.

All in all, The Best Damn Thing proves to be just about Avril's best damn album yet. I am 110% positive that many fans will be afraid to touch this album, and for two reasons. One; the look. From the album cover to her blonde hair, Avril's impression has changed a ton. Two; the sound. I wouldn't dare trying to relate The Best Damn Thing to a Britney Spears' album, but the sound is a lot more upbeat and casual-listener friendly. She went from one extreme to the next. Buy this album. Love it. Hate it.

poisongirl_92
    Well, I like some songs in the album..but I think it all proves it to be a good album...sure the others were greater but now as the article said she IS more happier...nice
    Korzack
    She's gotten better this time around, to be honest. SHe's been one of those I don't really notice 'That one's actually kinda catchy' before realising it's a serious guilty pleasure. Ok, so I ain't gonna go buy the album simply because I'll need to wash afterwards with Dettol, but It's all right to listen to. (and lol at her live cover of American idiot and Fuel... I actually liked em both better than the originals. See what I mean by guilty?)
    diamine
    Sorry, but somebody who claims "I really respect Britney Spears, now I know how hard it is to sing and dance at the same time.", does not earn much respect from me. eew, you dont have manners then
    TerminalKarma
    OMG!!!!! u r a complete joker nfldguitarist u deserve a clap (in a sarcastic voice) do u think there r people in mental homes walking around with the album 'the best damn thing' no!!! GROW UP go make your own album bet i would be shit
    nfldguitarist
    I think if you buy this album you legally admit to retardation and insanity at the same time.
    jacie.lin
    I think the ballads are the only good songs in this album.. when you're gone/keep holding on/innocence are a brilliant songs, maybe runaway too, but everything else is really mediocre compared to her previous albums..
    Riotgirrl*
    jimmyjinx wrote: I was in chock when i read these reviews... I mean, how can you say that this is a 10/10 album?? even 5/10 is waaaay to much. I used to be a big avril fan, when Let go and under my skin came out. I know better now than to admire her, but i still keep some affection for her two first albums. But the little respect i still had for her just vanished away the first time i saw the girlfriend video. i mean wtf??? What's gotten into her?? what's that dance? And those lyrics? And that music? And that look?i was convinced that no one would appreciate that crap. BUT i discovered some poeple find it great. And theses reviews made me think that i had overestimated the ultimate-guitar users. So thanks to everybody who has commented and agrees with me, that deeply reassured me (i dunno if it means anything in english, im french). Never ever buy this dumb album!! The worst damn thing, in my opinion. ( im not saying she isnt allowed to change, its not her im mad at, it's the people who like that shit!!)
    I agree. Avril last album sucks Too pop for me. And she looks like a ***** in Hot video. I prefer her oldest albums
    paramore_fans
    Avril is still way better than Paramore's cutie girl vocalsit Hayley Williams!!! Prettier, richer, more talented and more down to earth, Av lover her fans!!! hahaha
    gfalmarvez
    ,,wag nio kayang pag compitin yung dalawa let dem show der own talents kanya kanya yan kung cno nlang ang magaling,,!!
    jimmyjinx
    boyan89
    When Your Gone is a pretty decent song though...it actually has meaning :O
    Burpin'Worm
    *Checked* Stop flaming each other, you can debate without it. Also, if you're posting solely to bash and instigate arguments - don't. That's not to say you can't be critical of her/her record of course.
    ShalloW_AnarkI
    I just feel sorry for everyone that assumes that when someone starts out with a genre, they have to end up with that genre.... she was kinda young when she started y'know? and ppl change! maybe she felt like starting something new! I, personally, like it very much!
    A.U.S.T.I.N.
    hey, guys im sure avril is an INSANE guitar player. i mean she probly taught pete wentz and could own Paul Waggoner at sweep picking.
    rocknrolldogs
    best damn thing makes me worry... Avril is a rock chick right? Remember when that girl Gwen(no doubt)? Used to give fans Rock songs about how girl life now she givin us Crap . I hope Arvil won't sell out to hip hop. I don't know about y'all but I can't wait till this hip hop fad is over. I don't know how much my ears can take. as for this CD it still rocks. 8/10 (email me at anotherbandwithaplan@yahoo.com to bitch about the hip hop movement. [not like ya got anything betta do to anywayz dawg )
    java45
    haha seriously people just bitch just because she tried something different. oh god i swear like avril ive never ever in my entire life heard The Rubinoos. they are just trying to get publicity that they couldnt get when they were a so called band and the ramones recorded that song before them so they should be suied. or some thing. the only reason they went after girlfriend is because its top charted and is making some money. its just wrong how society can be retartedly cruel and i did download their socalled song and its nothing like it just the words "hey hey you you i want to be your" and thats it nothing else guitar rocks been playing as long as ive been listening to avril, for a while . haha.
    paramore_fans
    Hey Java45 and VegetaSWE, we are teammates here!!! Let's amke a coalition against THE RUBINOOS!!! to get rid of them, they are douchebags!!! grrr!!! I tabbed hundreds of songs, most of them are Avrils', so please check them out!!! I love playing guitar!!!
    VegetaSWE
    I like the record...its her worst but still good...cant understand why so many hates avrile..i like her and love many of her old songs and even som on this album like "The Best Dam thing" and "Keep Holding on" are good and i am going to lisen to them a long time forward
    java45
    Well for starters rock on paramore_fans for defending her. This album is one of my most played. you can bash and talk shit all you want but i dont give a damn just like she doesnt. shes happy , so you have to expect the cd to be up beat in tempo yes her old work was badass too but i find this record more to my likings its rediculously catchy which is why i love it. she can still write like she always had written before and the perfect examples are , when your gone innocence and the exclusive track I will be. its really different from UMS but its just fun and please all you alleged fans if you liked her before and knew her music and the way she is you wouldnt be bashing on what she gots now. she is a nice person and i have met her before. she does help all these charities why do you think she sang on the new INSTANT KARMA record for charity or Knocking on heavens door. im glad shes changed and doesnt give a shit what anyone thinks about her, all these bands turn into something they are not because they are worried what pussy little bitchy fans think when they change their music. which is why they always fall short. she managed to get a way with this record because its extremely catchy,i bet she wanted to give off this bad of somewhat impression to you people so she can come back with her 4th album and rock your worlds once again. but im sure she will go back to her old days and remember how it was when she was the one bashing on these pop bitches. avril is still avril just older and happier and hell for whoever said it would suck if she toured with sum 41 F*** YOU! it would be bomb. once an avril fan always one
    paramore_fans
    no, because you're not searching youtube live videos I'm assume that you're her EX FAN WHO TURNED INTO HATER, admit it!!! but it's ok, become a hater whenever you want and we, fans dont' care!!! As for the I LOVE DUBLIN shirt, it's just a ****ing shirt!! so what's the big deal? She can wear whenever the **** she wants the only thing that matters is whenever she perform live, she gives so much 100% energy for us fans!!! she's so kind to her fans!!!, She give fan hugs and signatures with a smile to her face!!! The reason why she never lip synch is because she can actually sing live SINCERELY!!! Excuse me dude, she's a better live singer now!!! have you heard of When You're Gone? She is now at the same level of Kelly Clarkson when it comes to singing high notes!!!
    SimpleandClean
    paramore_fans wrote: GREAT MUSICIAN ISN'T SUPPOSE TO SING THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! Again, Great musicians should experiment different levels of music rather than staying the same and that's the true maturity
    O_o You're kidding me, right? You didn't just call her "a great musician"...did you? ROFLMAO. paramore_fans wrote: Please guys STOP UNDERESTIMATING Avril!!! My question to you is CAN YOU WRITE BETTER SONGS THAN HERS? There are only a few sincere rocker chicks in this generation!!!! Avril is one of them!!! She can also play instruments if you search her live performances at Youtube!!!
    When she came to Korea a few years back, I actually spit up money to go, and man, did I regret it or what? What kind of idiot comes to another country wearing a shirt saying "I LOVE DUBLIN"??? Plus, who cares if she can play her own instruments? She plays sucky power chords (honestly, anyone can play them) and her piano playing is a joke. Her voice is so overrated that during the performance, I was actually hoping that they'd just turn on the vocal track and let her lipsync. Have you heard her live version of "Sk8ter Boi"? Damn, it sucks ass and sounds nothing like her HIGHLY EDITED version.
    anechoic nebula
    paramore_fans wrote: My question to you is CAN YOU WRITE BETTER SONGS THAN HERS?
    I have written better songs. AND I was tied up and locked in a cupboard, in a room that said 'BEWARE OF THE HAMSTER' on the door.
    anechoic nebula
    Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, I have written better songs than "Blah, blah, blah, blah, I wanna be your girlfriend, blah, blah, blah..." and I don't just think mine are better cos they use words like "serendipitous", they manage to make the listener think aswell as being catchy. I write about things that matter .
    diamine
    anechoic nebula : Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, I have written better songs than "Blah, blah, blah, blah, I wanna be your girlfriend, blah, blah, blah..." and I don't just think mine are better cos they use words like "serendipitous", they manage to make the listener think aswell as being catchy. I write about things that matter. are u posting a comment or advertising ur song? haha