The Best Damn Thing review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Avril Lavigne: The Best Damn Thing

At first, not really being a fan of Avril Lavigne, I thought the CD had lost its rock quality and given in to at first mindless lyrics. But they fit her style perfectly, and this becomes apparent after you get past girlfriend. At the time I listened to it, I didn't realise that rock music was the coded version of its true name, sex music. And this whole CD refers to sex in a non-descript way that keeps you listening. Plus despite the lack of guitar solos the instrimentals are high quality. If at first you don't like it, you will. And this probably explains frankly why the CD and the track girlfriend won a worldwide acclaim and masses of awards. Avril Lavinge did something that not a lot of rock artists have tried to do. She sold rock music to young girls and males alike, something that generally if attempt becomes a complete failer. The style she uses is very American but not in anyway as dramatic as American rock. She uses a college rock style, the sort of tracks you would get played when the bad girls are dancing with the jocks at the dance. Basically, I liked this album. On recollection to her other ablums thoguh, I personally thought it wasn't as good as its two predosessers.

The lyrics once again fit the style. Basically guys think shes singing the lyrics to them, and yoong girls think they're singing the lyrics. What a great marketing plan. 10/10 for that. They fit the music perfectly, probably because the lyrics were written before the songs, but because I am no expert on the music of Avril Lavigne, I cannot say. Although her performance are not as emotional as her previous two albums, it is still good lyrically.

It seesm every ten years or so you get a major college rock song hit the charts and loads of others that fail around it. The Kinks with 'You Really Got Me', were probably the original sound, and some early Bon Jovi such as 'Breakout' also fits well into the genre. Basically, its a full college rock album, something that was waiting to be realised for years and years, and yet did not come until Avril. Personally as I know more and more like the genre, I think a standing ovation is in order. Two songs impressed me highly on ths album were the first track, 'Girlfriend', which at first I didn't like, and 'Innocence', which probably has the best instrimental supporting it, as well as the best vocal performance. I can honestly say, hand on heart, I love this album. If I were to loose it and didn't have the files backed up on my pc, I would rush out and buy it again.

bfmvdisturbed92
    I'm a huge avril fan, but i gotta say, this album is a failure. 1st and 2nd albums are the best. listen to those.
    punkizta94
    @ bfmvdisturbed92 can you call that a failure if it sold more than 7 million copies worldwide? perhaps, the difference from her previous albums in terms of sales was that material, but having that is already worth it!!! remember GIRLFRIEND? it went to the no.1 spot in the US Billboard Hot 100... i'm quite concluding now that ur one of her haters now, how pathetic