Under My Skin review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: May 25, 2004
Avril Lavigne: Under My Skin

Being a "30 Something" listener there was always something about my daughters "Let Go" album that I found intriguing when she popped it in the player. Despite a couple average tracks this album is excellent sounding and cannot be compared to "Let Go". "Under My Skin" is a much more mature album with a deeper and darker sound to it. There is a good mix of Punk guitar riffs that are much heavier than before before while the darker accoustic themes are much more distinct than her previous release. Throw in the somewhat haunting synth keyboards and the some of sounds of songs on the album are reminicent of The Cure or The Cranes. A good example of this is track one "Slipped Away" which I feel is the most moving and best song on this recording.

The lyrics are much more mature but there is a definate perspective of teen peril and struggles throughout. That is the theme she seems to capture and I think that teen perspective is very real and perfectly sets up the dark and dreary mood of the album lyrically. There is definately more input on this recording from Avril and at times it shows her weaknesses but even so this is a much better and personal effort from her.

If you had doubts about this girl forget it. She has stepped out of the box and answered the call on this album. She has taken big risks going the direction she has because she could of released another weak bubble gum recording. In this album you can see she has matured as an artist, songwriter and person and if you step back it is easy to see this is view into a teenage girls perspective on life. This is a deep album and despite some of what I would consider occasional teen themes that pop up this is a great album musically that I can listen to all the way through. Avril has proven her talent and answered the call of her biggest critics. Like Michelle Branch she will be around for a long time.