Under My Skin review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: May 25, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Avril Lavigne: Under My Skin

Nothing innovative here, musically; it's all pretty standard pop/rock fare. Avril's voice is higher pitched than on her first record, though she doesn't sound as Autotuned as she did then. She sings at a fairly constant volume and stays high in her range pretty often and it makes for a grating listen at best on most songs.

The lyrics are terrible. Yes, Avril wrote them herself and that's nice, but try reading them without listening to the music and see if you get anything out of them. Even the lyrics from the song about her grandfather's death, "Slipped Away," come across vague and flat and sound like they were written by a little kid, not a legal adult. No offense to her grandfather's death, and I'm sure she was sad when she wrote them, but the lyrics express nothing. In just about every song, she goes back and forth between predictable cliches and stream-of-consciousness stuff that doesn't express much of anything. It's like she just wrote without thinking. She even sounds bored singing them most of the time.

If anything, this album shows that Avril really isn't a good songwriter. I can understand her wanting to prove that she's capable of writing without The Matrix, but this only proves that she isn't. Also, for someone who makes such a big deal about being able to write her own songs, it's a wonder that on all of her released material she's only been a co-writer. Not a single song by Avril herself. Songs are music+lyrics, not just lyrics.