Under My Skin review by Avril Lavigne

• Released: May 25, 2004
Avril Lavigne: Under My Skin

"Under My Skin" is a hugely successful follow-up album to 2002's "Let Go." I liked that the sound was heavier than the first album's, with punching guitars and loud, catchy drum beats and amazing string arrangements. Notable are the acoustic-based tracks "Don't Tell Me" and "Nobody's Home." It just goes to show, you can be soft and strong at the same time. The piano playing on "Together" was interestingly simple yet catchy as well. I'd say this is a pop flavoured rock album, but really it's more of a modernized rock album.

The lyrical content on this disc is amazing! Avril teamed up with Ben Moody to write "Nobody's Home," about a girl trying to find her place in the world, which I can relate to even though I'm a guy! Chantal Kreviazuk, a friend of Avril's, is the biggest co-writer with Avril on this album, and it shows to be a good combination of their talents! Chantal Kreviazuk's husband, Butch Walker, co-wrote with Avril possibly one of her most successful hits to date: "My Happy Ending." Most of the lyrics are sad on this album, which shows that Avril is capable of showing a darker side of herself, although the upbeat track "Freak Out" is pretty inspirational to say the least. You can tell that Avril feels what she writes, especially in the song "Slipped Away," about her grandfather who passed away while she was on her "Try To Shut Me Up" Tour. The delivery of the lyrics was amazing also! I knew this girl could sing, but the first time I heard this album all the way through, I thought "Damn, this girl's got lungs!"

Avril Lavigne sometimes reminds me lyrically of Michelle Branch but her vocal stylings are overall quite unique. The most impressive song on this album is "Nobody's Home." Her voice is one of the only pure voices in the industry, in a world full of pop tarts who can't sing a note (cough cough Hilary Duff) I'd congratulate Avril on a great album and I can't wait for the next one. I love everything about this album, I hate nothing. It's all good! No filler tracks here. All amazing! If someone stole this CD, I would go to their house and cut them! Then I would either get it back from them or buy a new one because their filthy paws touched my Avril!