Down In Albion review by Babyshambles

• Released: Nov 17, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Babyshambles: Down In Albion

The band deliberately come across as shambolic and very rough and tumble, and this is both a blessing and a curse, the likes of F--k Forever and Sticks and Stones are superb pieces of work whereas the terrible effort of Pentonville and what I consider the worst track of the 16 Le Belle et la Bete (which features Kate Moss backing vocals) starts off the album, hearing this you think oh my god this is gonna be shit, things can only get better and they do. Albion, is a masterpiece of an accoustic lullaby which reminds all why we fell in love with Pete in the first place.

While Pete manages to avoid supermodels (barely) and crazy coke habits, there are moments when you think what the fuck is he talking about. And you begin to wonder if he's lost it or way past his best. Having said that the general attitude seems to be when lifes shite: f--k it, kick seven bells of shit out of something, then cry your eyes out. The likes of Albion are genius, Fuck Forever awsome, Pentonville what the f--k? Killamangiro touch of the clash. And of course Pete still sounds like a strangled cat but that is not what this band are about, it's what is said and not how.

I think you'd have to be as potty as Pete to claim this is better than any Libs stuff, Up The Bracket shits all over Down In Albion to be fair, but at times the deliberate shambolism of this album is beautiful, at others, plain fucking annoying, but it is a must buy for any Doherty fan, and yes, I admit I am one, the tracks Fuck Forever, Sticks and Stones, Killamangiro, What Katy Did Next, Albion and Up The Morning are superb and it's worth buying it for them. They took so long to release it, you have expected something a tad more polished, a potentially 10 out of 10 album has been let down by sloppiness and that can't be forgiven, although it will be the best 'demo' you will hear all year.