80-85 review by Bad Religion

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Bad Religion: 80-85

The band remains true to it's roots in the LA hardcore punk scene, while still being able to incorporate very catchy song riffs and melodies. Some punks are so dead set on not sounding like anyone else that they end up forcing some stereotypical crappy sound on their music, and none of that is evident in any of Bad Religion's work. Greg Graffins lyrics can't even be compared to any other punk band's and Brett Gurewitz's guitar riffs add a musical depth that is lacking in many later Bad Religion albums to these beautiful songs.

Greg Graffin adds so much depth and emotion (not Emo emotion just really powerful thought provoking emotion) to his music that if you don't enjoy at least the lyrics you're not human. Graffin utilizes his huge vocabulary and amazing tallent to give people music that means something, but still can be angry and still has all of the moshability of any other punk anthem.

80-85 (a compilation of the albums Bad Religion and How Could Hell Be Any Worse) is unsurpassed, to this day by any punk rock record, other than Bad Religion's No Control. I will admit a couple of band from other genres have beaten them, but no punk band has ever made an album as good as this one.

upthedownstair
    80-85 has the full How Could Hell Be Any Worse album, and then the EPs Bad Religion and Back To The Known, as well as three songs they contributed for a compilation who's name is slipping my mind... 80-85 has been re-released as "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" with the exact same tracklisting, but the original cover art from the HCHBAW LP. Now we can only hope for "Into The Unknown" to be remastered/released... although I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen.