Generator review by Bad Religion

• Released: Mar 13, 1992
Bad Religion: Generator

Bad Religion continue from where they left off with 1991's highly acclaimed "Against the Grain". This album, 1992's "Generator", was the band's first adventure with then-new drummer Bobby Schayer, the replacement of the popular Pete Finestone. On some of the songs, Bad Religion's music would take a different direction than their last three albums, examples: slowing tempos on songs like "The Answer" and "No Direction," and the bluesy guitar sound on "Two Babies in the Dark".

No Bad Religion fan (like me) should ever say Greg Graffin and Mr. Brett's lyrics are bogus, why? Because they never fail to write great tunes and you gotta love some of the songs I like off this record, "No Direction", "Two Babies in the Dark", "Heaven Is Falling", "Atomic Garden" and "The Answer". Not to mention the opening track and one of their their live staples "Generator".

It's hard to believe that this album is now 15 years old. One of the good things about Bad Religion is that they hadn't failed to make a great album until guitarist Mr. Brett's departure after the release of 1994's "Stranger Than Fiction" (sorry, but I'm not really a huge fan of the post-Brett stuff). Other than this record, you also have to check out their classic works, "Suffer", "No Control", "Against the Grain", "80-85" (an album of pre-"Suffer" material), "Recipe for Hate" and "Stranger Than Fiction", even in case you don't have any of their stuff. Like Social Distortion's self-titled (or "The Gray Album"), The Offspring's "Smash", Rancid's "...And Out Come the Wolves", Face to Face's "Big Choice" and NOFX's "Punk in Drublic", "Generator" is an essential punk rock album of the '90s a true hardcore punk classic and a right of passage. If my own copy of this album was lost, I might buy it again or just download all the songs and burn them onto a blank disc.

I_Forgot_My_Pen
    Great punk album by a great punk band. This is my second favorite album by them. The Gray Race wins narrowly.
    DeathByShoe
    radioplay
    DeathByShoe wrote: TapparMust wrote: The Gray Race wins ?!?! Man go grab Against the grain, Stranger than Fiction or The Process of Belief Or he could just listen to the Gray Race, because his opinion doesn't have to be yours.
    OWNED
    gtarpunk
    Alex101
    gtarpunk wrote: Another timeless bad religion and punk rock cd. You forgot to mention the best song though, Only entertainment.
    It's not really my favorite song off this record though.
    elcapitan1800
    I completely agree that Gray Race is their best. It rocks so hard. Process of Belief is amazing too, and all of their cds are great. Including this one
    TapparMust
    Jesus and I thought that my opinion rules the world, I said that to open up his Bad Religion mind if he maybe have not experienced those 3 amazing albums that I mentioned.
    TapparMust
    And for the record yes The gray race is amazing but not the, best in my opinion
    doubleaa
    All the awesome songs in order of their greatness. 1 Generator, 2 Atomic Garden, 3 Only Entainment, 4 Heaven is Falling, 5 No Direction, 6 Two Babies In the Dark, 7 Fertile Crescent... Awesome CD
    n00barmy
    I didn't like this album at first but it has been growing on me. I definitely like Two Babies In The Dark and The Answer the best from this album.