Recipe for Hate review by Bad Religion

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Bad Religion: Recipe for Hate

Released in 1993, five years after the highly acclaimed "Suffer" came out, "Recipe For Hate" was not only Bad Religion's last album on Epitaph Records, but it helped the band receive a lot more success than their past releases. It spawned two singles, "American Jesus" and "Struck A Nerve", and they were moderately successful as well. The album also finds Bad Religion continuing the experimentation of their previous album, "Generator", introducing elements of country and folk on songs like "Man With A Mission," and "Struck A Nerve," the latter of which includes a guest vocal by Johnette Napolitano (of Concrete Blonde). Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) also provides guest backing vocals on "American Jesus" and "Watch It Die".

As always, Greg Graffin and Mr. Brett's lyrics are either fine or just brilliant. If you listen to "Watch It Die", you'll Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) say these lyrics: "I saw a man on my big blue screen/he ruled the world economy/he said the rich would never concede/but some day soon he4ll be put to sleep". I can honestly tell that some lyrics on this album could be hilarious, based on what the US is treated like or some kind of sense of humor, like "take those potatoes out of your ears" (from "Modern Day Catastrophists"), "all good soldiers crack like boulders" (from "All Good Soldiers"), "we got the american jesus, see him on the interstate" (from "American Jesus") or "everybody's praying, don't pray on me" (from "Don't Pray on Me").

"Recipe for Hate" is another great album for Bad Religion fans to check out and it does quite match up their previous releases a bit. Besides "Recipe for Hate", you should really check out "Suffer", "No Control", "Against the Grain", "80-85" (an album of pre-"Suffer" material), "Generator" and "Stranger Than Fiction", even in case you don't have any of their stuff. My favorite songs on the album are "American Jesus", "Man With a Mission", "All Good Soldiers", "Watch It Die", "Struck a Nerve", "Don't Pray on Me" and "Modern Day Catastrophists". For years, Bad Religion albums (with Brett) and lots of other punk acts (like Social Distortion, The Offspring or Rancid) have changed my ways of life. If you do not check out any of their stuff, then you could never be a Bad Religion fan. If my own copy of "Recipe for Hate" is lost, I'm sure I could buy it again or just download all the songs and burn them onto a blank disc.

Rambo-Conny
    One of my favorite Bad Religion albums. My favorites are Kerosene, Man With A Mission, Struck A Nerve, Don't Pray On Me and Skyscraper. The lyrics are as great as always, and the whole sound is just magnificent, although it's pretty different from their other albums.
    StueyALBB
    Pete4047
    Me too. Of every single bad religion songs i've heard, there is no song, that i just like a little. I Love all their stuff, they've ever made
    n00barmy
    I didn't really like this album to begin with. I listened to it more and more and I like the songs more and more; it's the MIXING that I don't like. The songs just don't sound powerful. The live version of American Jesus on the album "Tested" should be the only version that exists. It is a completely different song on there.
    n00barmy
    StueyALBB wrote: I've never heard a bad religion song that i haven't immediately fallen in love with
    Flat Earth Society... to this day, I still regularly skip it.