The Dissent of Man review by Bad Religion

• Released: Sep 28, 2010
Bad Religion: The Dissent of Man

Bad Religion has always been known to put out great sounding records, and this album is no exception. The production quality is on par with The Empire Strikes First and New Maps Of Hell. There isn't so much a story behind the album as it just being a collection of awesome songs that have had a lot of thought and work put into them by a band in their 30 year of playing. They've spent a lot more time on the vocal melodies, with some songs having a bit of a folky sounds to it. Most of the songs are a little slower. It's almost like listening to an Acoustic album, but with the full band. Don't get me wrong, I love the usual fast Bad Religion, but this shows a side of Bad Religion that hasn't been heard yet, and for lack of speed, they make up with thoughtful lyrics and great songs.

The is Greg Graffin's best. He sings with more melody and skill on this record. The lyrics are also quite different from usual Bad Religion. You can tell that they are moving in a new direction, probably due to being in their 30 year of playing. The lyrics are a lot more thought out and will take some time to listen to and understand, but you can tell that these songs mean something to these guys with the honesty in their sound and the way Greg delivers the lyrics.

Bad Religion has always been a hard band to compare to others, because Bad Religion sounds like Bad Religion. Does it compare to their past catalogue? Definitely. Does it show signs of the band continuing? Yeah, it does. They still have it, and hopefully will still have a few albums to go. What I love most about this album is the departure from the usual Bad Religion songwriting style. It's developed, but it's not alienated. There's not much to hate about this album, to be honest, but if I had to pick something then it would be I wish there were a few more tracks like "The Resist Stance". Also, I wish the second half of the album wasn't mostly slower tracks, because it does make the album seem a little weaker towards the end. I really hope Bad Religion have more to offer after this album because if "I Won't Say Anything" is their finale, it might be a bit disappointing. All in all, great songs from a great band. Very solid album, not their absolute best, but definitely worth listening to. By the way, it's streaming on Myspace for anyone who wants to listen to it. Stand out tracks: "The Resist Stance" "The Day That The Earth Stalled" "Only Rain" "Meeting Minds" "Turn Your Back On Me"

lethaldosage45
    Bad Religion has to be one of the most consistent Punk-Rock bands to date. I missed them two years ago in Moncton and Halifax. Hope they decided to come back on their next tour! Great album.
    FearOfTheDuck
    Human_Nightmare wrote: Of all the New Album Reviews I read, Bad Religion is one of the few artists that don't have people spewing off hate in the comments. Maybe it's because they're just that good?
    Because people aren't interested in them as much as say BMTH who generate a lot of interest, whether its hate or not its still interest. thats a good quality i think.
    Nick Curleo
    jetfuel495 wrote: Gotta love Bad Religion. They've been around forever and for the most part have been extremely awesome. Kinda like Iron Maiden, except not metal.
    Like Iron Maiden up until Final Frontier, that is. I'm a huge maiden fan, but I really couldn't stand that album.
    Shread_6009
    i like this album, though not as much as "new maps of hell". i also find, out of the songs ive heard so far, that there isn't a really stand out track, though it is quite a solid album. plus i see them on the 15th, that's go kick so much ass
    thePTOD
    xcrunner1 wrote: Any criticisms of Obama? Probably not, as doing so is heresy.
    I realized that too. Especially with Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown album (Which had no good breakdowns at all?!?) They'd bitched about Bush in AI, so I wasn't sure they knew what to write about this time. They pulled through with some America-sucks songs though.
    offspring_punk
    After New Maps of Hell I was a little disappointed. This album completely restored my faith in Bad Religion. I've been a fan for a very long time and I'm glad to see this album come out. It has a very Empire Strikes First feel to it and I absolutely loved that album. Only Rain is great. Also, it's nice to hear Won't Somebody in a non-acoustic version. Wish I could make the trip to Cinci to see them in a few days They skipped Columbus.
    Human_Nightmare
    Chewy120
    true that
    Fingers210
    Saw them a couple months back in Bristol, awesome. Will definitely be buying this.
    kgesme21
    can't wait to see them Saturday. one of the last bands to consistently rock
    Amuro Jay
    n00barmy
    I heard the single for this album and I thought it was going to be sub-standard. "The Devil In Stitches" could not be farther from everything else on this album. This album is absolutely golden! With the exception of the single, every track on this album is amazing. BTW, this lineup has been around since The Process Of Belief, not The Empire Strikes First...