The Process of Belief review by Bad Religion

• Released: Feb 12, 2002
Bad Religion: The Process of Belief

Bad Religion is not known for drastic innovations in their music, but after two lackluster albums(No Substance and New America),they sounds better than ever. The sound of this album is like a compilation their previous efforts, yet surprisingly fresh. A portion of the album, namely the first three tracks, are blazing-fast punk rock. Another part is a collection on mid-tempo songs(for Bad Religion anyway) that I believe make up some of the best efforts musically on "The Process of Belief". These include "Evangeline", "Epiphany", "Broken", and "The Defense". It is also important to note that there are some good guitar solos to be found. They all seem to compliment their respective songs quite well.

The lyrics are clever and well sung. Greg and Brett(the writers) show insight and writing skill in as they cover philosophical ground, tragic youth, politics, and even their own past as a band. For a good example of clever word play of this album, here is a bit out the song "Materialist": 'Mind over matter, it really don't matter / If the street's idle chatter turns your heart strings to tatters / Flatter hopes don't flatter and soul batter won't congeal to mend / a life that is shattered into shards / Was it in the cards?' Greg's melodic, yet commanding voice add greatly to the lyrics meaning. The back vocals(or "OozinAaahs" as stated in the booklet)also add atmosphere to the songs. On the downside,"The Lie" has a repetitive chorus and it doesn't come through as strong.

Overall, I would say "The Process of Belief" is a good buy for punk fans or even rock fans in general. As for replay value, I have found it good for many, many listens. Now, my opinion of the stand-out tracks: "Supersonic," "Broken," "Epiphany," "The Defense," "Bored and Extremely Dangerous."

n00barmy
    I really don't get why a lot of people seem to like this album. The only tracks I like are "Supersonic", "Kyoto Now!", and "Epiphany". Don't get me started on "Sorrow"; how that song ended up as the regular concert closer is beyond me. Maybe I'm just not hearing the same album as everyone else...