Barenaked Ladies Are Me review by Barenaked Ladies

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Barenaked Ladies: Barenaked Ladies Are Me

Well the first thing I can say, is that, at it's high points, this album contains some of the best songs of Barenaked Ladies career. Since the release of their full length album, Gordon, Barenaked Ladies have been creating some of the best music in the industry, and this album is no exception. When it shines, it shines big. All the songs are at least good; some aren't great, such as Jim Creegan's 'Peterborough and the Kawarthas', which is also sung by the bass player. I think that's what throws the song off, I'm used to Steve or Ed singing the songs, because that is the sound of Barenaked Ladies. Alright song, but just not the same. The same can be said of the Kevin Hearn fronted song 'Vanishing'. Don't get me wrong, that is an awesome song, but I would have preferred to see it on a Thin Buckle CD than mixed in with a bunch of Barenaked Ladies music. It's very good, just not consistent. All in all however, the sound and music of this album is just incredible, in songs such as my personal favorite 'Bull in a China Shop', and 'Bank Job', where the production is very interesting, and therefore great.

The lyrics and vocals of this album are some of the best that you can possibly find in the world today. With driving melodies, and surprisingly catchy lines for some reason that I can't explain, like 'I can't hear a thing, 'cause I stopped listening' and 'Shall I take back everything I've ever said and live my whole life in silence instead'. Great lyrics, by song: 01. Adrift - you can tell just by a first listen of this song that Kevin Hearn was involved in writing it. Great song, and great lyrics. 02. Bank Job - wow. Great song, and probably Ed's best vocals to date. One of the very best on the album. 03. Sound Of Your Voice - another one of my favorites, and the first song on the album where you get to hear Steve sing lead. He sings this song incredibly. Apparenlty it's a Hearn song, which surprises me, it seems quite rocked up for Kevin. Incrdible. 04. Easy - the first single off the album, great tune, great melody, incredible guitar, very warm sounding. Good song, and good choice for a single. 05. Home - probably my least favorite song on the album; the lyrics are great, but the song and the melody itself just. I don't know, it just doesn't do it for me. Seems too much like a filler. 06. Bull In A China Shop - it doesn't get any better than this. This song reminds me of both 'Too Little Too Late' from Maroon, and 'Elf's Lament' from Barenaked For the Holidays, which are two of my favorite songs. Great lyrics, great melody, great music. Definettely my favorite track on the album. 07. Everything Had Changed - a good song. Not great, but good. Very, very uniqute, I love the instruments in it. It's weird. I think it'll only get better with time, however. 08. Peterborough And The Kawarthas - well, it's another Creegan song. I'm not a big fan of his work, but overall this is one of his better songs. Weird lyrics, but surprisingly well sung, and good music behind it, it's actually good. 09. Maybe You're Right - another absolutely great song. I love the response to Steve's vocals from Ed. Great lyrics and music, great song. 10. Take It Back - another great Ed vocal song. Nothing really to say about it, but great piano, and great singing. Good tune. 11. Vanishing - I've gotta say, as a fan myself of Thin Buckle, this is a great song. However, it doesn't really fit on this album. I feel this song should've been saved to be done with Kevin's own band. It just doesn't feel right on this album. Whenever I listen to it, I just think to myself of it as a Thin Buckle song; it actually makes me love the song. 12. Rule The World With Love - I'm not even sure yet what I think about this song. Every time I hear it, I hear something new that I like. For some reason it kind of reminds me of Smash Mouth. Weird. Sounds most like 'Upside Down' from Everything to Anyone than any other BNL song. I think I like it though. 13. Wind It Up - the second single from the album, and probably the best choice too. It's a fun song, with one of the best guitar riffs I've heard in a while. Really good tune, and good singing on Ed's part. I also love the harmonies in the chorus. Overall, great album lyrically.

In this album, Barenaked Ladies have, while still maintaining their style, made something new and great. Parts of the album remind me of every Barenaked Ladies album so far, and I just love that. The only thing about it that bugs me is the Creegan and Hearn sung songs; not neccesairly bad songs, they just don't really work. Other than that it's a great album. Quite possibly the best one this year. There's no way you can miss out on this great album, and if you lose it, definettely buy it again. It's a great BNL classic.