Stunt review by Barenaked Ladies

• Released: Jul 7, 1998
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Barenaked Ladies: Stunt

The album begins with the arguably the bands' most popular mainstream hit, 'One Week'. I never get tired of hearing this song, ever. This album is much more 'pop' oriented than previous albums, although retaining the groups lyrical humor. This may be due to more-present drumming by Tyler that creates this 'pop' feel, but it works. Mid-album, 'Alcohol' is a flurry of noise, combined with a ragtime piano solo by Mr. Hearn. One of my personal favorites songs, 'Never is Enough', nearing the 3/4 way through the album, is a culmination of clean riffs, vocal harmonies, and electronic sounds, adding to the 'pop'-ish element of the album. The closing track, 'When You Dream', a mellowed out, spacey-feeling song sung by Steve, leads the album out nicely (slong with the ending lyrics of 'Some fantastic'), channeling the energy from the album nicely into the end of 'Stunt'.

From the fast-paced tongue-twisting lyrics of 'One Week' (I summon fish to the dish although I like the Chalet Swiss I like the sushi cause it's never touched a frying pan), to the swirling, drawn lyrics of 'When You Dream', this album delivers lyrics eccentric enough that only could have come from Ed and Steve. Whether unknowingly deep ('Leave') or wacky and humorous ('Alcohol'), these lyrics will leave you contented as only a BnL album can. Also, this album contains many catchy chorus's, such as 'Never is Enough' and 'It's All Been Done (Wooo-Hooo-Hoo! )' that leave you tapping your shoes and humming.

Considered BnL's mainstream-success album (4x platinum in the US), this album featured a couple "firsts" for the band. Kevin Hearn was introduced with this album (leaving us with the current line-up of Ed, Steve, Jim, Tyler, and Kevin), along with 'One Week' being the band's first #1 single (US). Stunt is a perfect album to close out the 90's for the band. Overall, the album is a must for anyone who has heard of the Barenaked Ladies, and also for any 90's alternative fans. The singles, 'One Week', 'Alcohol', 'Its All Been Done', and 'Call and Answer' give the album a solid backbone for the other tracks to lead off of. If it were stolen, I would go buy another copy in a heartbeat, and I can't imagine myself ever losing this album.