Stunt review by Barenaked Ladies

• Released: Jul 7, 1998
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Barenaked Ladies: Stunt

This is probably the best example of what the musical abilities of the Barenaked Ladies possess. The music is very peppy and energetic. If you are in need of cheering up or just want something mellow to jam to, definitely pick this CD up. The only thing is some of the songs are anti-climatic toward the end of the album. Although, all of the songs are instant favorites. The Barenaked Ladies are not guitar gods, but they know how to lay a track down and they have obviously displayed that. There are some songs with good solos, not mind blowing but enough to satisfy any guitar enthusiest They're special in their own way.

The lyrics are all catchy and for the most part humorous. Just because they are humorous does not mean they don't have a meaning though. Most of the songs have a message whether it be in, "One Week," which discusses a fight in a relationship with funny and catchy lines laced into the mix. Personally, my favorites on the album are "Light Up My Room," and "Alcohol," because I like the meaning of the lyrics and the hidden guitar fills that are only evident to an avid listener. The singer does not have that strong of a voice, but for the style of music, it fits perfectly.

As I meantioned before my favorite tracks on this album are "Light Up My Room," and "Alcohol," purely because of the lyrics and the ability for the song to get stuck in my head. Good listens are also, "One Week," "It's All Been Done," and "I'll Be That Girl". This is without my favorite BNL album. I also own Maroon, and I am a big fan of their other works, but this is by far my favorite album. The only thing that I am not very keen about on the album is that the songs can be repetitive and the songs are not all peppy like "One Week," infact that is really the only song of it's kind on the album. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't be in tears because I have an Ipod... However, if I did not have an Ipod, I would definitely go buy another one to replace the stolen.