Blue Record review by Baroness

• Released: Oct 13, 2009
Baroness: Blue Record

Allow me to begin while saying that this is the follow up I was begging for after the Red Album. The Blue Record comes from a more matured Baroness, meaning that they have taken what they have learned from their previous albums, in what works and what sounds pleasnts, and combined it into a killer new album. Old Baroness fans will be pleased that the band has not changed their overall tone, and the riffs are still Mastodon-esque with beautiful fills mixed throughout. Old fans might also be spooked by the bands new guitarist, but I assure you that this guy plays in full Baroness style, and I was happy the tone did not change all that much. The Blue Record does not achieve anything new except for an acoustic track, which is a little disappointing, but it is one of my favorite metal albums of the year. I am impressed that the band could keep the same sound while changing guitarists, because a lot of bands have a problem with that.

If you liked the Red Album then you will be most pleased with the Blue Record's consistency. The lyrics are catchy, but they are not dulled down. The lyricss are still shouted with intensity and passion. I do not obsessed over lyrics with bands that are not Rise Against, so I will not give an unfair critque of Baroness's lyrics, because I was not looking at them intensely in my listening. However, the vocals are strong, catchy, and overall awesome. The new guitarist, Pete Adams, is the backing vocals. His vocals are usually melodic, especially in the acoustic song, Steel that Sleeps the Eye.

Compared to the band's previous works, I think this was the logical next step. The Blue Record was a cohesive and beautiful piece of work and this review does not do it justice. My personal favorite songs are: Jake Leg, War, Wisdom and Rhyme, The Gnashing, and O'er Hell and Hide. I still prefer the Red Album and their past works, but I believe this is the stepping stone that Baroness needs in order to create a masterpiece, which I am hoping they can create with their next album.

jimmy10
    this is a really good album. the musicianship is amazing but i think the vocals could be improved. i'm not saying that they are bad, just that the vocal harmonies don't seem to fit in some places. also i think that baizley's vocal style on first and second goes with the music better. With all that said, baroness still managed to churn out another kick ass record
    kristjanpalmi
    this album is the shit. It's mastodon influenced, no doubt about that, but i have to say that in my opinion the do the mastodon sludge metal style more justice. the just killed it. I love the beginning of the album. first two songs just knocked me of my feet.
    you = fail
    Nocturne12 wrote: Shrexter wrote: Great album from a great band called Baroness...not The Baroness Ya... not too impressed that you got the name of the band wrong, but a good review nonetheless. A fantastic album, one of the best this year. However, I still like the Red Album better. My only complaint is the length. Considering it has so many fills (which I love, don't get me wrong), I think it should be a little longer to make up for them. 45 minutes just isn't enough for an album like this.
    It irked me that the name was The Baroness too, but there was already a review for the Red Album by "The Baroness." I know that it's Baroness, but I wasnt about to make a new band cause I wanted my review to go up. Thanks for the review compliments!
    Andragon
    Blue sounds like they took "Grad" and expanded upon it. Great material
    Nocturne12
    'TallicaRules
    Blue Record is the first Baroness album that ive heard and i absolutly love it. Great stuff...now i need to check out the Red album as well.
    hildesaw
    +1 to the lead guitar tone. They play well, but it bugs me a little. I still love this album nonetheless
    fartsyjoe420
    baroness is such an underrated band (or at least not as well known as they should be.) They really have a distinct sound and they are massively talented. This record might not be quite as fully upbeat as the Red album, but it still an amazing record. can't wait for anything this band does in the future.