Red Album review by Baroness

• Released: Sep 10, 2007
Baroness: Red Album

This album starts kind of slow, taking almost two minutes to really get rocking. Hopefully you'll have the patience and attention span to keep listening. What lies ahead is a strange, captivating journey. My first impression of this disc was one of a more classic rock influenced Mastodon, but I think there's more to it than that. The styles and sounds found on The Red Album are retro yet modern. Guitarists John Baizley and Brian Blickle have found tones that remain discernible while cranking the sludge. On their myspace profile they are listed as rock/indie/metal. That's a pretty accurate description; however, I would probably throw the term "Southern" in there somewhere.

In addition to guitar, John Baizley also takes care of vocal duty with a style that lands somewhere between Aaron Turner and older Troy Sanders. I have never actually encountered a fire breathing dragon, so I can only assume that one's battle cry would sound something like John Baizley screaming over distorted power chords. Lyrics on this album are sparse to say the least, with several songs being completely instrumental, and that fits the music nicely. The true meaning of the lyrics was nearly impossible for me to decipher. Some of the songs are reminiscent of Melvins-esque gibberish. I might not know what they mean, but they sure sound cool as this excerpt from "O'Appalachia" proves: "this is where the rivers coursed my veins, line the shoreline, this is where my blood will ebb away" what?

This album both looks and sounds great. John Baizley not only lends his talented pen to the songwriting, but the beautiful, neo-psychedelic artwork as well. There are plenty of great songs here, but something is missing. Continuity, perhaps? I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album is good, but greatness is still to come. So far Baroness has done nothing but improve throughout their career, and if they continue to do so, they will undoubtedly rise to the top of the rock scene.

Tormedhammeren
    I hadn't heard anything from these guys before I got this album. Actually I hadn't heard of them at all. I just saw this in the recordstore and something told me to buy it. My god! This is a fantastic album, it's got everything. It's heavy, rockin', melodic, got great lyrics, and I love the Thin Lizzy-esc riffs! I see great things coming for these guys. This is one of very few albums I can listen to at any time, anywhere, any mood. Thank you Baroness, and keep em coming!
    fender_NiNE
    Charlatan_001 wrote: Isn't the band just called Baroness, not "the" Baroness?
    yea...UG is retarded lol
    Zomboo
    guitaringsailor
    Zomboo wrote: Baroness kicks ass but this site is ran by a bunch of chinese kids with downs syndrome
    fender_NiNE wrote: Charlatan_001 wrote: Isn't the band just called Baroness, not "the" Baroness? yea...UG is retarded lol
    And **** you two if it sucks why the hell are you in here anyways? so shut up
    mysweetsatan
    HighVoltage_xx
    WanderLuster
    HighVoltage_xx wrote: mysweetsatan wrote: i like this music i like the quiet parts between the songs the best though thats attention to detail! ...Is that being sarcastic? Anyway, I heard "Wanderlust" on a Metal hammer Cd I found lying around, and I must say, it's ****ING BRILLIANT! Also, anyone able to tab out Wanderlust? I'm a bit bad at these things. At least, tell me what key its in...
    its in C dropped to A#, theres a tab here on UG if you have guitarpro
    wezoweez
    This band is insanely amazing live.If any of you get a chance to see them do it. you won't regret it.
    deadlydictator
    I call this band Heavy Ass RUSH. seriously, its like listening to a modern day RUSH, and its heavy.