Bathory review by Bathory

• Released: Oct 2, 1984
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Bathory: Bathory

Through the dim and murky production Bathory's early signature is clear and visible: Quorthon's vocals and his style of song writhing along with the striped-down drums which consist almost purely of d-beats. The songs are fast and short, with the exception of "Raise The Dead" and "Necromancy" all songs are abut two minutes in lenght, instrumentally "Bathory" resembles the early american thrash scene a lot of the time, however the songs are much more simpler in nature.

Qourthon is the first one to use shrieks, although much weaker than the Second Black metal Wave's style, the vocals do their job well on this album. Lyrics are ok, they deal mostly with blasphemy, hell and Satan, I think that the later focus on Norse mythology and Vikings is better but the lyrics on the earlier albums and on this are respectable.

There just is not enough playtime(the lenght of this album is abut 26 minutes)for me to give it a better rating, I appreciate that they didn't try to lengthen the tracks by adding dry and pointless sections to the songs but it's still to short. "Under the sign of The Black Mark" and "The Return of Darkness And Evil" are better albums, by miles, my favorite songs from "Bathory" are "Reaper" and "War".

Jøhnny
    A 6,3 overall rating is just blasphemy, I mean look at the users rating: 10!