Destroyer Of Worlds Review

7.3
 8.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Destroyer Of Worlds Reviewed by: krvolok, on may 12, 2010

Sound: A friend of mine told me abut this album and he said it's like Norland or Hammerheart mixed with Requiem in other word a combination of Viking and thrash metal songs, and that more or less what it is. Now one can say that's a weak jack-of-all-trades, however Bathory manage to make it work. There are a couple of boring songs, the solos have less variety than on the previous material and the arrangements are odd at times, but Destroyer of Worlds is worth the 65 minutes of its length. I felt that due to the nature of the album that every song should be rated separately. 01. Lake Of Fire: is a viking song, slow with chants and choirs, a great song. 9 02. Destroyer Of Worlds: is a bit strange, the bass and the drums are more up front while the guitars are to the back, it is interesting especially to the end when the lead comes in. 7 03. Ode: a viking song much like the ones on Hammerheart and Twilight of The Gods. 7 04. Bleeding: Quorthon shouts his throat out on this one, it's a thrash song, up tempo with a couple of nice riffs. 8 05. Pestilence: it has its moments but I don't really like it, I like slower songs but this one crawls. 6 06. 109: once you get passed the stapled on intro you will find a solid fast thrash song. 8 07. Death From Above: another solid thrash song, nothing special. 7 08. Krom: sounds like a thrash song from the 80th's, nice. 8 09. Liberty And Justice: it gets better towards the end but it is boring. 6 10. Kill Kill Kill: I like the fast double bass pedal sections an the intro, beyond that it is dry and boring. 6 11. Sudden Death:is like Krom a 80th's style thrash song. 8 12. White Bones: starts deceptively like a skow song but it changes to a up tempo feel quickly, great song. 9 13. Day Of Wrath: opens with bass and acoustic guitars and then changes to a chant driven viking song of the older albums. 9 // 8

Lyrics: The Viking songs deal with mythology, on the other hand the thrash songs are abut war and violence, the Viking element is written better, or at least with more attention. The vocals are good, nice mix, well performed though they do come out sterile at some parts. // 7

Overall Impression: I see the point when someone says it's all over the place, it is, but it would be a shame to miss out on such a good album, yes Noralnd I & II are better but Destroyer Of Worlds is more than solid it deserves a listen. I guess the closest thing to Destroyer Of Worlds is Blood Fire Death which has to a lesser degree a mix of black/thrash and viking songs. My favorites are Lake Of Fire, Bleeding, White Bones and 109. // 7

Comments