Acoustic review by Bayside

• Released: Feb 28, 2006
Bayside: Acoustic

Bayside delved into something relatively new for themselves on their acoustic CD. After the tragic death of drummer "Beatz" Holohan, the remaining members decided to finish out their tour acoustically. They then went into the studio, and recorded acoustic versions of 7 songs, two new full band songs, and a live version of "Don't Call Me Peanut". This Bayside record gives a different perspective of the band, that for some reason I have come to thoroughly enjoy, each time I listen to it. The heavier songs, like "Masterpiece" and "Devotion and Desire", translate extremely smoothly from full band to acoustic.

Lyrically, Bayside is Bayside. Angsty, emotional, emo lyrics that tend to get redundant. But the acoustic album does bring at least one bright(ish) spot to the table: a cover of the Smoking Popes' "Megan". But even then, the song is still about loss. Vocally, Bayside offers a slightly unique voice. But the thing about the best part of the vocals is the incredible melody lines created by the guys (more specifically lead vocalist Anthony Raneri). The melody lines are ridiculously catchy (listen to "Blame It On Bad Luck"), and well devised.

Overall, this is probably my favorite Bayside album. This is for many reasons, but mostly it all boils down to that the combination of the acoustic guitars and Raneri's voice create a beautiful fusion. The acoustic rendition of "Montauk" is probably my favorite, although I really enjoy the raw, gracious live version of "Don't Call Me Peanut". I think the only thing bad that can come form this CD, is that for the ensuing Bayside releases, I will always find myself wondering "I wonder how this song would sound on acoustic" (seriously, imagine "Duality" or even "How To Fix Everything" on acoustic).

JoNnHannah
    proguitarist11
    JoNnHannah wrote: Its nice to see and objective review every once and awhile. Not just all 10s. I watch the dvd all the time. This is one of my favorite cds.
    i agree and disagree. it is nice to see objective reviews about stuff, but this shit deserves a 10 all around. Bayside is one of THE greatest bands ever. If you just take time to read Anthony's lyrics and hear how amazingly well-written their guitar parts are, you can't help but love these guys. Amazing band live too..
    Twikki
    I hope they release acoustic part 2 with soudns like "Evelyn" and a heap of songs off walking wounded (I know they did (Pop)ular Science acoustic)
    Rock Adio 77
    this is a great and well put-together album, their music is great ive learned every single song on this album!
    ryanglaspell
    Winter is the most amazing bayside song ever written,its the most beautiful song written in history! Anthony reall poured his heart into it and it rlly makes me think every time hear it that song and self-conclusion by spill canvas are my fave songs ever. I love all the acoustic stuff on this album its neat listening to Jack do all his solos acoustic
    bguitarj
    Sick, Sick, Sick (Acoustic version) isnt on the album, but if it was it would be my fav. Listen to it on youtube