Be Your Own Pet review by Be Your Own Pet

• Released: Jun 6, 2006
Be Your Own Pet: Be Your Own Pet

Forget the idea that you need to buy a concert ticket to capture the energy, sweat, and chaos of a band. Be Your Own Pet has almost pulled off the unthinkable -- bottling the live experience and laying it out in 15 CD tracks. On its self-title record, BYOP is proving that punk is still alive and well, and it just so happens to be coming out of the country music oasis of Nashville, Tenn. BYOP offers a refreshing return to the punk sound that reigned before the term pop-punk was created. The band, featuring vocalist Jemina Pearl (one fiery gal), guitarist Jonas Stein, bassist Nathan Vasquez, and drummer Jamin Orrall, stays true to the form with each track averaging a little over two entertaining minutes. With its debut on Sonic Youth legend Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Peace/Universal label, the band proves that so-called pop-punk rockers aren't really that punk after all. From the first track, Thresher's Flail, the band wisely builds upon a simple beat and guitar riff to take the listener on a very quick turn a more feverish side of the band. By the end of the song, it features chaotic strumming, accelerating tempo, and a vocalist whose voice reflects her bandmates' increasing volume -- and don't be surprised if you miss the opening for the second track. Now that's a transition. In the track Bunk Trunk Skunk, vocalist Pearl shows exactly why she deserves to be the frontwoman of a punk band. She growls and screams so passionately that you can almost feel the spittle coming from her mouth. This may not be every singer's goal, but she should stand proud that she's able to paint such a vivid picture in just one song. Although she uses the trademark punker's yell in most of the songs, when Pearl does sing she brings to mind Gwen Stefani. Given that both singers have platinum blonde locks and heavy vocal vibrato, it's likely that this comparison is an ever-returning blessing and/or curse for the band. Stein's guitar work may not be necessarily groundbreaking in that he often uses one guitar line throughout most of a song, but every now and then he does surprise us with a riff that comes out of leftfield. When Stein suddenly slows down midway through the song and tweaks the underlying riff, it ultimately makes the song a more interesting listen. Not every song gets it right, however. The song Wildcat! tends to be a bit tiresome, with Stein using one repeating riff that sounds a bit like a siren for pretty much the entire song. Because each song the record is short and sweet, there wasn't much place else to go with the riff given the time limitations. Still, given the short length of Wildcat, it still tends to be a nuisance rather quickly.

Let's be fair. If a punk band write lyrics that probe too deeply in your soul, it might be worrisome. There's something refreshing about the simplicity of BYOP's lyrics, and the phrasing of each line reflects the underlying music really well. Quirky is the word that comes to mind when listening to a song like the lyrics state, Wanna get a cat, my boyfriend wants a dog; we got into a fight, I drowned him in the bog. It's just odd enough that people will make this a sure-fire sing-along. While plenty of the lyrics are amusing, it's not really what makes the band stand out. It's not that they are terrible lyrics, it's just that the band's energy and not their lyrics make them memorable.

How the world will embrace BYOP remains to be seen. Although they are rapidly gaining a following, landing a gig at Coachella and releasing popular CDs in the UK, the band's raw sound may be a little too raw for the pop-punk-heavy radio. That being said, there are plenty of unique moments on the self-titled CD that deserve to be heard. October, First Account strays far from being a traditional punk tune, with its lower tempo and radio-friendly producing, and the result is ultimately a payoff. In the song's breakdown, an unexpected, groovy bass line is highlighted. Likewise, Love You Shot Gun is an angry love song that musically keeps you guessing. With each song being so short in length, it's necessary for the band to make an instant impression. Some of the songs miss the mark completely and never get passed your run-of-the-mill chord progression and average lyrics. However, when the band does get it right, it is a dynamic, exciting, and above all, talented band. To leave listeners feeling like they've just been to a loud, intimate, and chaotic little club in the city is truly a talent. And if you're ready for the chance to experience a BYOB stage show -- well, just pop in the CD and push play.

pebble_rebel
    This album is great. Scares all the dopey yellowcard, and fall out boy fans in my sixth form commen room.
    The Spoon
    How the hell did MCR get involved in this conversation? Anyway, this is a pretty good album. Its a little different...not totally unique, b a refreshing change.
    chris1415
    I love this band. They bring the grit and the simplicity back to punk rock
    TeenBite
    I don't know about the band, but: Damn she's hot! My Chemical Romance are whatever you want them to be.
    Guitarded8988
    Jonas Stein went to my high school, so we got some buzz about byop awhile back here in nashville. I went to two local shows and even thouugh i am openly anti-punk, they put on a good show. if their cd truly captures their live energy, then i think it would be a good buy for punk fans
    Sittinduck
    wha the hell... Goth Punk Emo Punk come on guys, MCR is fag metal we all know that
    BrianApocalypse
    "Because each song the record is short and sweet, there wasn?t much place else to go with the riff given the time limitations." Uh??? Two minutes, or even one is plenty of time to have lots of interesting stuff going on. I'll see if I can find that album...
    JayBoyd
    This has to be one of the best albums and bands of the year so far - brings a welcome change from bland emo/pop that's around at the moment, the songs are filled with brilliant fuzzy/punk guitar riffs and energy from the lead singer, which comes off really well live. Cant wait to see them again at Leeds festival
    Scrate
    Nice review. Lol, its funny the tiniest mention of genre's and suddenly everyone's off on their own little tangents lol, love it...
    Frostithe
    Jawkster wrote: MCR aren't emo, they're goth punk. FOB are emo on the other hand, IMO, but as colormydaygreen said, which i totally agree, "Not every person who likes that band is an emo or likes other emo bands. You just can't say music is only for one type of person, because it never is." you're right, and wtf is the point is the whole labelling society now?.
    ...Goth Punk, MCR? Lol now those 2 I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence. MCR are punk emo at best. Goth punk? Definately not.
    greenday2003
    Byop are one of the greatest bands to emerge for america in yrs..It's such a fresh/old skool type of album, it flies tru at great pace wit simple yet great chord and riff progression, excellent buy-im only wishin they come over to ire soon and play a show
    BrianApocalypse
    ^ also you got to bear in mind that punk songs aren't short, they're just played very fast. There's no excuse to play the same riff over and over again. It'll impress 10 year olds, and that's it. Real people demand real music.
    papersun87
    "Because each song the record is short and sweet, there wasn?t much place else to go with the riff given the time limitations." You know, there's a simple solution to this: you COULD go over two minutes if you wanted to.
    Jawkster
    ColorMyDayGreen
    Hell, my mom likes Fall Out Boy. Not every person who likes that band is an emo or likes other emo bands. You just can't say music is only for one type of person, because it never is.