BE review by Beady Eye

• Released: Jun 10, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Beady Eye: BE

English rock supergroup Beady Eye are marking their return to 2013 with the release of their sophomore studio album, simply titled "BE." The band first made headlines back in 2009, when former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher announced he would continue making music with several other ex-Oasis band members under the name Beady Eye. In 2011, the group released their debut album, "Different Gear, Still Speeding," which showed the band establishing it's roots. And two years later, with their new album it shows the members of Beady Eye expanding upon its foundation and moving into broader musical territory. The album's lead single, "Second Bite of the Apple," may not have been exactly what fans would've anticipated, but the song itself isn't that bad. It starts out as a slow bluesy jam, but around the 1:40 mark erupts with explosive brass playing and vocal harmonies, and after multiple listens starts to grow on you. The opening track, "Flick of the Finger," similarly features some dominative brass playing and bears a significant classic rock style and vibe. As compared to their previous effort, this new album shows Beady Eye beginning to find their own sound and appropriately distributing it throughout 11 new compositions. And while the outcome definitely isn't horrible, there just isn't anything too standout as well.

Lead vocalist Liam Gallagher gives a continuously good performance throughout "BE." His distinctive singing style is a stabilizing factor throughout the entire album; whenever the band instrumentally decides to expand into different territory, it's his natural sound that holds the surrounding songs together and helps the album transition easily.

With "BE," the members of Beady Eye expand upon the sound first established in their debut album, bring in fresh-sounding elements and take on expansive territory. While the outcome is good and entirely listenable, I personally do not feel this collection of songs live up to the hype set for them. For any fan of this line up's earlier offerings in Oasis, as well as Beady Eye's debut album, then picking up this album for yourselves should be a no-brainer.

YouTube preview picture

Bih cu c'
    petruzh
    What hype?
    guitarist5477
    That's what I thought, I mean I liked their first album, and these aren't bad. With that said, the whole hype thing never happened, never even heard of it till today, and also the supergroup thing is wrong.
    shoegazer'
    I'm actually impressed with the progress Liam has made as a songwriter. This isn't as good as an Oasis album with Noel and Liam would be, but it surpassed my expectations. Not every song is great, but the better songs work well. I'd give it a 7.5 or 8.
    bauhaus96
    This. Considering that his peak as a songwriter before this was I'm Outta Time, this is a big improvement. Not that I'm Outta Time is bad, but it doesn't even scratch Noel's stuff.
    R-Dude
    I completely missed that they were making another record....so this is actually quite a pleasant surprise. And it doesn't sound bad for something I didn't know was out until a few minutes ago.
    Bucboy1001
    Sorely underrated album. It doesn't blow you away, but gets better with each listen. I think a lot of the people that hate Liam write off the album immediately. However, it's a lot more experimental than I would suspect Liam to be. His vocals are tremendous. Very well produced by Dave Sitek as well. Lyrics were dodgy in areas, but it's not like Liam/Andy/Gem were lyrical geniuses in the first place. Even so, they were not bad. I would give it a solid 8/10 rating. A definite improvement over their debut and worth a couple listens.
    iommi600
    Great album overall, but Flick of the Finger especially is one of a kind. What a godlike song.
    Vendettagainst
    I boycott simply because, if you need boobie pix to draw attention to your record, it no doubt sucks. Second, how is this a "supergroup"? Oasis minus Noel = supergroup? Fraid not.
    LostKeys
    Who ever said they "needed" it to draw attention? You did. Only you.
    The_Dayman
    I actually agree with him, kind of. Whenever I see tits on an album cover, I get a bit of a douche chill. I just know it's going to attract kids who still think it's funny to say "OMG LOL TITS" whenever they see a nipple. But that's the fans, not the music.
    durruty_n
    no es oasis, hay que entenderlo, es otra banda, en principio es dificil de digerir el album, pero a mi gusto es muy bueno
    the_small_guy
    a new oasis album you say?
    bauhaus96
    Considering Noel wrote 98% of Oasis' songs... no.
    RadioTape
    Noel wrote all of the first 3 albums and the majority of the 4th. The last 3 albums were basically a split of all members, but Noel's songs were released as the singles. It's a shame, Oasis actually got their shit together on the last album, shame they couldn't carry on.
    louise.martinez
    $85 an hour! Seriously I don't know why more people haven't tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the eveningAnd whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my kids. Heres where I went, www.Dub50.cm
    greif hammer
    Flick of the finger is great, the only thing wrong with it is that intro drum beat. Just doesn't fit.