Different Gear, Still Speeding review by Beady Eye

• Released: Feb 28, 2011
Beady Eye: Different Gear, Still Speeding

Unexpected of them to actually release some softer stuff along with some heavy tunes. The fact that Andy has penned down some softer songs really caught me off gaurd. I realized that Liam and Gem are the ones with a heart for heavier sounds, but since Andy was a vegetarian, I guess I can see his softer side coming out. Both heavy and soft tunes sound great in the album. 01. Four Letter Word: Skyrocketing. This song's lyrics may be interpreted into Liam's relationship and recent fall-out with brother Noel, but in fact, this is one hell of a tune that could be about anything: love, hate, etc. 02. Millionaire: Honestly, I did not like this one as much. But, it looks like a song where you can imagine Liam sitting at a cafe looking into the ocean. 03. The Roller: An acoustic song with a catchy sound. I really enjoyed this one, but the fact that people are saying that it sounds like "Instant Karma" says a lot. Although Gem wrote this song, I believe that Liam's singing really shines here. 04. Beatles and Stones: At first, I thought that the song was referring to The Beatles and the Stone Roses (Liam's long-time inspirations) but I think that this song doesn't speak of them at all. The song itself possesses a catchy sound whilst sounding quite loud. 05. Wind Up Dream: A nice rock 'n' roll song with a very admirable intro riff. Unfortunately, I prefer the other song with "dream" in it's name. 06. Bring the Light: The first ever Beady Eye song that was released as a free download. I had first thought that this song was absolute shit. However, after listening to this more and more - I love it! Sounds a lot like 50's/ 60's rock 'n' roll. 07. For Anyone: I love this song. Unbelievable how Liam's voice goes really high. More for the modern "pop" fan. 08. Kill For a Dream: This song has some of the best lyrics on the album. Although a softer song, it sounds close to a melancholic song that could possibly written by brother Noel. 09. Standing on the Edge of the Noise: The name speaks for itself. Why the song is named after one of the last Oasis tours I do not know, but this has a killer chorus and could sound like a good band intro song. 10. Wigwam: This song came out and people are saying that this was the "Champagne Supernova" of Beady Eye, however, I can honestly say that this song was kind of a disappointment. Maybe it was because it had a huge hype. Still, a nice piano/ organ intro with reverb'd Liam vocals sound great. The middle part with the "sha la la" almost ruins it. for me. 11. Three Ring Circus: A great rock 'n' roll song, I can almost say the archetypical Beady Eye song. Of course, I can say that everybody would prove me wrong. 12. The Beat Goes On: Of course, this is one of the highlights. When I first heard this song, it sounded like something I had heard before. The lyrics on the song is mega. Definitely a song to check out. 13. The Morning Son: GREAT. This is MY favorite song on this album. This is THE "Champagne Supernova" of Beady Eye. This song starts off on a beach with water waves and birds, then it leads into a similar sounding chord progression (all you guitar players will hear this immeditately.) Soft, then louder, then mega - just like "Champagne Supernova". The lyrics were written by Liam himself... it's up there with "I'm Outta Time", "Songbird", and "Boy with the Blues".

Being a long time Oasis fan, I did not expect the lyrics to be any good without Noel. Saying that, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard some of the lyrics. Although a lot of the softer songs' lyrics seem a bit emotional, the heavier songs are where it falls out a bit. The only song that is on my highlight reel that is also on the list of "heavy" would be Four Letter Word, which has actual meaning. Softer would definitely be The Morning Son. Liam's voice has definitely changed but obviously, he's going to sound different live.

Of course, it's not the best album that I have (because I've got a bunch of Oasis stuff,) but it can hold it's own. My favorites: - "The Morning Son" - "The Roller" - "Four Letter Word" I love that Beady Eye have gone on and recorded an album before Noel, but I can guarantee that Noel's album will be my favorite. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely go out and buy it again. Along with the rest of their albums and Noel's album.

bksbeat
    It is all good,but it still all sounds the same.Just like the rest of post Morning Glory Oasis material
    Supersonic1
    bksbeat, are you saying that Be Here Now sounds like Don't Believe The Truth which sounds like Dig Out Your Soul? If that's the case, I suggest you get your hearing checked. Beady Eye doesn't really sound like Oasis, I was hoping they would, but now I'm glad they don't. And for the record, I thought this album was better than Dig Out Your Soul.