Terrorhawk review by Bear vs. Shark

• Released: Jun 14, 2005
Bear vs. Shark: Terrorhawk

The songs vary greatly on the album, making it great. You have your hardcore and rocking songs such as Catamaran and Antwan, and then your not so hardcore rocking songs suck as Baraga Embankment. These guys have a very wide spectrum of influences which really shows in their music. Some of the CDs have a sticker on the front that says "for fans of Modest Mouse, The Mars Volta and Q And Not U" and that couldn't be more accurate. But also, anyone with the slightest interest in rock and/or punk would probably taking a liking to this album.

The lyrics can be quite cryptic. Theyre like poetry with lines that dont relate much to the last, but manage quite nicely, think of At The Drive-in, or Q And Not U. They can be somewhat complex, but they can also be interesting. The singer, Marc Paffi, yells his lungs out in some songs like none other (end of Antwan, Heard Iron Bug), which I can understand some not liking, and in others he can sing normally and harmonize quite nicely.

These guys have a really incredible sound. Are they original? Maybe yes, maybe no. They credit their influences a little too much, but to me sound nothing like them. And I am also a fan of most of their influencing bands, so I would know. They have a punk rock sound, but it's their own. Some might confuse them with screamo, but they're not. Screaming and yelling are two different things. It is most definatley a love or hate situation when it comes to listening to this album. For the rocker, punk or anyone who likes energetic, yet intelligent music, this is a must-have.

Infamou$17
    Though if there is a plus side to them breaking up, at least they didn't leave us with anything shitty to listen to.
    joefromartie
    This album is virtually flawless. It is a complete shame that Bear Vs. Shark broke up. As a side note, not completely related to this album, this band was incredible to see live. The whole band was amazing to see in a live setting, and every performance i saw was jaw dropping. I hope these guys start something new soon.
    PunkRawk1224
    This cd is quite good, though "Right now..." was easily better. And i agree with joefro, these guys were amazing live, so much presence (especially from the singer). I will never forget BvS.