Disgusting review by Beartooth

• Released: Jun 10, 2014
Beartooth: Disgusting

Beartooth is a hardcore punk/melodic hardcore band from Columbus, Ohio, formed in 2012 by Caleb Shomo after he left Attack Attack! Caleb had begun writing songs while he was still in Attack Attack! as "a different musical outlet." The band originally "started as a joke band" with members of My Ticket Home, as a way to make fun, punk-rock, hardcore, wild music, play crazy shows and have a good time without pressure from anything. The band was originally called Noise, but was switched to Beartooth upon realization the name was already taken. The band consists of two other original members: Taylor Lumley on lead guitar, and Brandon Mullins on drums. Kamron Bradbury (rhythm guitar) and Oshie Bichar (bass, backing vocals) joined the band earlier this year, after leaving City Lights due to their breakup. The sound of this album, as a whole is just outstanding. It's been quite awhile since I heard anything this refreshing. That's not to say I did not enjoy any other albums put out this year, but this album is in my top five favorites so far. There are plenty of moments of intense screaming with enormous emotion on this album. "The Lines," right off the bat, have Caleb starting to cough in the intro, while the guitars do its thing. The guitars are heavy and creative (something that wasn't quite there in Attack Attack!). The choruses soar with rhythm, and melody. The drumming is quick, and fills the songs nicely. And one thing that doesn't seem to be noted quite often in this scene of constant chug core garbage is the fact that the bass is actually present on this album, and actually shines on this album immensely. The breakdowns are also crazily awesome sounding, and would surely be some great songs to mosh to.

Caleb has topics that range from personal depression to never giving up. The lines got me thinking what kind of family he came from:
"Am I the son in or out of law?
How many chances do I get before my head explodes?
What's going on?
When I look into the mirror there's another gun
What's going on?
When I look into the mirror there's another gun."

"Beaten in Lips" was the third single released if you include "I Have a Problem" as one. This song also has an outstanding music video to go along with it. The song starts off with distortion. "Everything that I say won't mean anything less / When I'm down in a grave, and you've put me to rest," Caleb shouts. My favorite lines would have to be:

"Pull the plug with a single decision
Your way of life is a contradiction
Go to rehab, celebrate with ketamine
Mend the wounds and light it with kerosene
Light my wounds with kerosene."

And to go along with that, there is a crazy breakdown. Later on in the song there is an even bigger slew of breakdowns, in which is probably the highlight on this album, regarding breakdowns. Caleb screams, "Listen to the sound of your children revolting / Listen to the sound of the lives you're ruining." What makes me love this song as a whole, is the fact that it has a great message. The chorus is really catchy:
"This is for the kids with the beaten in lips (Hey!)
Whose parents try to shut them up using their fists (Hey!)
Keep living loud and proud
They never can hold you down."

The next track, "Body Bag," has Caleb screaming the same two bottom lines as the chorus:
"If I could set the clocks back
I wouldn't be headed for a body bag
One life and one decision
Make sure it ends with you still living!"

This song I think is most notably creative, regarding the bassline, especially towards the end of the song. "In Between" is one of the more melodically driven songs. The chorus is actually my favorite chorus on this whole album, and honestly one of the best choruses I've heard in any song in quite some time:
"Up on the mountain I see down below
It's easy to lose yourself I know
Can't hear what you're shouting, I'm deaf to your show
It's easy to lose your self control
Everybody gets high, everybody gets low
Life can be such overdose
Up on the mountain I see down below
It's easy to lose yourself I know in the in between."

The next track is much more dark, and contains some of my favorite uncleans from Caleb. "I want a reason, I want an answer, I want a reason (Someday!) / I want a reason, I want an answer, I want a reason (Now!)," he screams.

"Ignorance Is Bliss" is another song with some great Caleb uncleans. "I'm not one of your demons," just showcases some angst and emotion.

"I Have a Problem," the seventh track, was also featured on their "Sick" EP. So this song was already well known for awhile:
"I found my vice, I found my vice
It lives in a bottle and wants me to die."
"God I wanna call you my father
I'm sick of drinking my life away, I can't remember anything
This isn't fun anymore, my body's glued to the floor
When did my king start living inside a glass bottle?
I'm dying, I'm done lying to myself
If I'm living, its inside a hollow shell
My stomach is bleeding, but I'm still drinking
A hole inside me is now more than a metaphor

I guess a bottle can't save my life
I guess a bottle can't tame my mind
This is my reward, a barely beating heart
But I still lie to myself, I always lie to myself
My hands are in the air, and God I hope you're there
Cause I can't make it myself, I'll never make it myself."

That song has quite a message, and it's honestly one of the main songs that gets to you from these guys. "One More":

"Sitting alone in my basement again
Staring at the screen thinking what comes next
I've been at this for days but the nights are worse
The key's in my head but my mind is cursed

Where's the moment of divine intervention
Where's the moment of divine inspiration."

My favorite lines in the song are actually:
"Please understand me
I'm breathing not living
I wanna know if my souls worth saving."

The next two songs are great, but the next song that I really enjoyed was "Dead." The song is basically just a quick, hardcore song. What impressed me the most on this entire album was "Sick and Disgusting," which happens to be the last track. So they saved the best for last I see. "Sick joke, sick joke, that's all you'll ever be to anyone / I'm nothing but sick and disgusting." If you thought there was any other song that contains Caleb at his highest point regarding uncleans, and emotion... well you thought wrong. I was literally left stunned by how much emotion was put into this song. Its just like... wow... I can't help but feel bad for the guy. The last few lines has Caleb literally crying the lines:

"Dad I don't wanna be sick and disgusting
Daddy I don't wanna be sick and disgusting
Dad I don't wanna be sick and disgusting
Dad I don't wanna be sick and disgusting."

Wow, this album really turned out to be quite an amazing one, with many messages written in every song, there is no doubt that Caleb has had a rough past. What really shocks me, and impresses me is that he also produced and mixed this album himself. The production is crisp, and like I said, the bass is heard very clearly. I cannot wait to see them at Warped Tour this summer. Every single one of these songs will make the crowd jumping and singing along. Caleb Shomo is now a well known figure in this scene, and quite frankly, he has a long way to go as a young 21 year old. I recommend this album to any fan of hardcore in general. It may not be for everyone in this scene, since I know there's some people who don't like clean choruses and all, but this album definitely made an impact on me, and it quite honestly should make an impact on you. I love every single song, but I guess my favorites are: "The Lines," "Beaten in Lips," "In Between," "One More," and "Sick and Disgusting."

Brewah43
    This was an amazing review. Seriously mad mad props to you. You didnt bash it saying this sucked nor did you say its the album of all albums. I love the album so far, in my opinion its great. I love Shomo he is a great musician and he loves music a lot. He records music, makes electronic music on the side during his spare time and Beartooth is his main project. I havent listened to the full album yet but from what i have been hearing so far its amazing. If you hated Attack Attack! Dont let that hate come near this because its far from anything like Attack Attack!