Criterion Collection [DVD] review by Beastie Boys

• Released: Nov 21, 2000
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Beastie Boys: Criterion Collection [DVD]

Let me just say this: the sound on this DVD sounds better than the sound on the CDs. I don't know how they keep doing it but the Beasties just keep raising the bar. The music styles in this are classic Beasties: 18 videos of pure hip hop and hardcore bliss. The sound gets even better though because despite having 18 classic songs on it, it also has 40 remixes! Now that's worth the 10 I paid for this!

Content — 10
The DVD is a Video Anthology of the Beastie Boys work over the years. 18 videos: Intergalactic, Shake Your Rump, Gratitude, Something's Got To Give, Sure Shot, Hey Ladies, Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun, Body Movin', So What'cha Want, Sabotage, Shadrach, 3 Mcs & 1 DJ, Ricky's Theme, Pass the Mic, Holy Snappers, Root Down, Netty's Girl & Alive. I am very much satisfied with this because they included all the classic videos and left out the dud ones (Fight For Your Right etc.) Each song also has band commentary and director commentary. It has over 100 angles, which is a nice feature and more than 40 remixes! One of the remixes for Alive is even better than the original! It also has a movie spin off of the Intergalactic video called 'The Robot vs Octopus Monster Saga' which is hilarious. To finish it up, it also has an interview with the cast of Sabotage, still photos, storyboards and a free poster. There's about 4 hours of stuff on this 2disc DVD. Now that's value for money!

Production Quality — 8
The production is very good. The DVD chapters and menu are very flash and easy to use. My one quibble with it, which isn't a big problem, is that the booklet included is a one page affair. But the actual DVD more than makes up for that!

Of all the music DVDS I own (Metallica, RATM, Korn, Queen), this is easily the best. The most impressive thing about about is how much they've crammed into 2discs! As I said, 18songs, 40+ remixes, interviews and mini films, plus 100s of video angles! In a way there's too much, but that's never a bad thing! If it were stolen, I'd steal it back or I'd save up and head off to the shops and buy it again! It is worth it.