Licensed To Ill review by Beastie Boys

• Released: Jan 1, 1986
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Beastie Boys: Licensed To Ill

For a hip-hop sort of group, the sound is amazingly metallic. Rather than the heavily electronic, techno sort of sound most hip hop groups have, the beastie boys use heavily distorted power chords with riffs snatched from bands such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Then you will hear the trio sing, and they have very hip hop friendly voices. They clearly don't have great singing voices, but they work great for their music. Although they are described as hip hop, I think of them more as rock. So if you're someone like me who isn't really a rap person, and is much more of a rock person, you should like the sound of the beasties. Very rock oriented, Metallica sound.

The Beastie boys lyrics are hillarious. If you listen to the lyrics in this song, you will be through the roof laughing. Songs such as "Fight For Your Right" and "Girls" Are just hillarious. Obviously, these aren't exactly well thought out intelligent lyrics, but they are very funny hip hop lyrics, and rather than just focusing on sex like most hip hop groups seem to, they have a wide variety of subjects. The lyrics aren't always intelligent, but are always hillarious.

Overall, this is one of the best hip hop albums of all time. This is probably my second favorite rap album, after it takes a nation of millions to hold us back by public enemy. But public enemy and the beastie boys are two very different kinds of rap, public enemy is more funky, and the beastie boys are more rock. My favorite song on here, and song that no one ever seems to mention from this album, is rhymin and stealin, which starts out with the drums from when the levee breaks, then goes into the riff from sweet leaf by black sabbath. The best songs are Rhymin And Stealin, Brass Monkey, (of course) Fight For Your Right, No Sleep 'til Brooklyn, and Time To Get Ill. My only real complaint about this album is that it's somewhat repepative. Other than that, a hip hop comedy classic. Very worth the money, even if your like me, where you're not exactly a hip-hop fan. So if you are a fan of rock and metal, try this one out.

bassplayer496
    GOD DAMN IT! THEY FUCK UP ALL OF MY REVIEWS! I GAVE IT A NINE OVER ALL! EVERY REVIEW I DO! I'M SICK OF IT! ~Love, Dallas~
    bassplayer496
    Yeah, well I just did one that didn't, but I always check to make sure that I put everything down right, and my things always get screwed up in some way. I also did a review for a pedal, and it put my review under the wrong pedal, and I know I did it as the right one. ~Love, Dallas~