Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band review by Beatallica

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
Beatallica: Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band

You love The Beatles. You love old school Metallica. Well, then you're exactly the target audience for the genre-crossing band Beatallica. In a nutshell, Beatallica takes well-loved Beatles songs and adds a variety of Metallica's musical touches -- from a spot-on impression of vocalist James Hetfield to some nicely executed guitar solo that at times are reminiscent of Kirk Hammett. While the novelty does wear off a bit along the way, Beatallica is obviously doing this out of love for the legendary bands and has to be given credit for attempting to fuse 2 very different (but equally impressive) bands. It all comes down to fun when you listen to the band's first official full-length CD Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band. Beatallica is comprised of solid musicians, but at times it's hard to get over the Weird Al Yankovic flavor in it all. The band actually overcame copyright issues by deeming itself a parody band, and it's a pretty suiting title. But behind the cleverly worded titles (Helvester Of Skelter, Leper Madonna), there is some great guitar work from Grg Hammettson and Jaymz Lennfield. Every song is rock-oriented, but the guitar work most closely resembles Metallica in Helvester Of Skelter. The track is arranged to be a balance between Harvester Of Sorrow and Helter Skelter, but it's one of the few tunes that ends up leaning more heavily toward the Metallica side by the end. From the opening track Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band, it becomes immediately obvious that vocalist/guitarist Jaymz Lennfield has a gift for sounding like Metallica frontman James Hetfield. While I'm not sure how the band originally formed, it's more than likely that it's directly related to Lennfield's gift of recreating the Enter Sandman vocal experience. It makes for a fascinating listen, but it does get a bit much after a while. It may have more to do with the mixing actually, with the lead vocals overtaking the backing instruments much of the time. It's unfortunate that more songs on Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band aren't as metal-sounding as Helvester Of Sorrow. To be fair, it's probably quite a task to take a pop song like Hard Day's Night and transform it into something that could show up on And Justice For All. Although not every song does have Metallica feel, there is still a lot of strong musicianship behind the parody. Anesthesia (I'm Only Sleeping) is one of the most impressive tracks, featuring a memorable bass solo from Kliff McBurtney and a nice Seek And Destroy line that pops up at the end.

The songs on the CD have the appropriate dose of humor injected into them, although the lyrics aren't always clear because of Lennfield's delivery. The liner notes don't include the lyrics, but checking out the words online at places like AllTheLyrics.com is worthwhile. While the words might not be as clever as some classic Yankovic tracks, any Metallica fan should appreciate them. There are Metallica references all over the place, and the opener Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band is a solid example. Lennfield sings, James Hetfield's gonna sing a song; And he wants you all to thrash along; So let me introduce to you; The band who drank 1,000 beers. The track Sandman actually manages to mix some sweet nostalgia with caustic jabs at hair metal. In one section Lennfield recalls Metallica bassist Cliff Burton by singing, Now I lay me down to sleep; I pray for Cliff my soul to keep. In the next breath he tosses the sentimentality aside and sings, I am the beast under Don Dokken's bed; Sandman, f--kin' Dokken! It's little details like that which make for an amusing listen for anyone who lived in the '80s.

Although the humor and novelty of Beatallica is what has gotten them noticed, the band actually is proficient at what it does, even throwing in some unexpectedly awesome guitar and bass solos. It does get cheesy here and there (the last track ...And Justice For All My Loving goes a bit too much toward the pop side), but for the most part Beatallica is entertaining. It's hard to not to be impressed by a band that takes the time to fuse 2 distinct bands into 1, particularly when the arrangement are pretty complex. While the vocals do tend to get a bit much because they are so prominent in the mixing, Lennfield is very good at what he does. He sounds eerily like the one-and-only James Hetfield, and manages to make that vocal style work for most of the songs.

ontherun
    James Hetfields gonna sing a song; And he wants you all to thrash along; So let me introduce to you; The band who drank 1,000 beers. WTF? Shame. Why pollute the sound waves with this garbage?
    flukestarrhythm
    cockels wrote: **** this. you should NEVER make fun of the greatest to ever walk on this earth. METALLICA!
    Metallica will never be greater or better than The Beatles.
    Skippy_McNutty
    I listen to Hey Dude pretty much everyday, I can''t seem to find any places that sell beatallica c.d.'s besides the net.
    o d y s s e y
    lol alot of you guys are really taking this serious, and getting all angry about it... i lold
    Uber-rocker
    Mr.Krinkle1410
    my friends guitar teacher is grg hammettson from this band. ive heard some songs by them and only liked 2 of them. i prolly wont buy this.
    Shredder Guitar
    its called a parody, which in no means "making fun of" something. learn basic language skills, numbnuts.
    chunkyllama16
    wow every single review that this site does give the cd nothing lower than a seven.... why do people even go on these.
    astrocreep71
    I didn't take the time to read all the comments, so forgive me if this has already been said. I haven't had the chance to hear Beatallica, but I would think most of the people at UG like, or at least have respect for, the Beatles and Metallica. Whether or not these people sound good or not is irrelevent. We all knew that someone somewhere would eventually put these two bands together. I am sure some of you have done it(not necessarily these two bands). We never expect to get a deal from it. Anyway, inevitible.
    the_bi99man
    Uber-rocker wrote: Metal101 wrote: They're terrible. I'd rather carve my eyeballs out then buy that album. Just make sure you do it with a dessert spoon, then replace your eyeballs with Cadbury Creme eggs... Epitom of awesome. But I wouldn't mind hearing this album, sounds amusingly interesting.
    Exactly.
    Neloangelo818
    god what a flashback. i downloaded this "album" from their website around when it was first released in the mid 90's.this one and the follow up were the greatest when they first came out.
    mcw00t
    guys, guys, it's a JOKE band, it's not a serious trying to fuse the 2 genres, they're having a bit of a laugh doing it, and to me, i respect that, I'd probably buy it
    flukestarrhythm
    ...in what way's are metallica greater than the beatles? I bet my left arm hetfield will never ever sing better than paul or lennon.
    bls4life8
    i heard there guys on the radio and there singer is horrible he tries 2 hard to sound like hetfield i would never buy this cd
    Metal101
    They're terrible. I'd rather carve my eyeballs out then buy that album.
    metalguy001
    for the lyrics i recomend wowlyrics.com the site that guy suggested doesnt have them on
    BlisteringDDj
    Sounds like Hetfield? hahahaha! I can't sing at all! ...Seriously, 8.3? That's a big no-no to UG...
    BlisteringDDj
    oops, lol "I Can't sing at all", hahaha sorry about that. What I tried to say was: He can't sing at all...
    joshjhasarrived
    "Leper Madonna-spineless from the start Like a Virgin comez to town, you're sucked into the part Living by your story, spreading your diseaze Suffah for your glory, falling to your kneez" Sung to the tune of "Lady Madonna" hahaha
    Thomaslikespigs
    i think its a great new sound coming from two old rock legends from different ends of the spectrum. innovative and comic. but i'd never pay money for it...
    cockels
    Stop Messin'
    These guys are horrible in my opinion. The dude tries too hard to sound like James. It gets very annoying before the first song is done, kinda like Dread Zeppelin.
    Oxendoobie
    This sounds interesting, I might give it a try. And for you who said it sucks cuz he sounds like james, your a retard, go hit yourself in the face with a hammer, that is the whole point of this band... you dumbasses.
    Lacerated Sky
    these guys are great. i love both the beatles and metallica and fusing them, though a joke, was a great idea. i believe that thes guys will go far with this.