Guero review by Beck

• Released: Mar 29, 2005
Beck: Guero

Here's one I wasn't expecting. I found Beck's last few albums to lack compared to Odelay and Mellow Gold, since they were increasingly different sounding. But with this one, he goes back to sounds of slide guitars, great beats and clapping to the beat. I'm very pleased that he has gone back to his old sound. After hearing the all-acoustic Sea Change, I was bored with Beck. Now I can finally say he got back to his artful, dark side.

The lyrics are Beck's strong point. At first they don't sound like much, but give it a few listens. It's clear that he wants every line and word to sound well crafted, and it works. His writing never becomes stale, but some of the Spanish lyrics might get annoying. His singing is great and is never too over the top, or too boring. For those of you who miss his "Sleeping on the sidewalk with a Burger King crown" lyrics, they're back once again, but still goes to his softer "Sea Change" tone.

This album is obviously an instant classic. It's great to hear his slide acoustic is in abundance once again. The first 3 songs are stand-outs, but the rest of the album keeps up with these. The only little minor detail that isn't so great is "Hell Yes." I really don't mind that song, but usually I'm not in the mood for it. To close, this album is brilliant. Compared to the garbage that's put out in the mainstream lately, Beck is ignoring it and is off on his own. "E-Pro" is a great song played all over alternative radio, but it's also the simplest song on the album. This an artful masterpiece that shouldn't be passed by. If you're a fan of anything Beck has ever put out, buy this.