Modern Guilt review by Beck

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Beck: Modern Guilt

These days it seems like it's getting harder and harder to find originality in music. Artists are ripping each other off to make a buck and the music industry has become very political. With Beck however, there is always originality to be found. Originality that I have never heard successfully copied. Usually it take a few listens to a new album for me to like it. Not the case with Modern Guilt, I loved it right off the bat. This particular album sticks true to Beck's style and has an awesome, groovy combination of funk, pop, hip hop, and it is very danceable. The whole album is very laid back and in essence retro sounding. It would make great driving music or background music at a chill party. Pretty much anywhere where you just want to relax and throw on some good tunes. I'm not really sure if there is one word you could use to describe it. It fits so many moods and it seems like it has a little bit of everything. In my opinion this album is far more versatile than any of Becks older stuff. It also features more complex guitar parts and solos. The recording itself is very well done. It's mixed perfectly and you can hear each part in the sound spectrum right where it's supposed to be. No, it's no Dark Side of The Moon as far as recording goes but it's definitely a well composed album and with a good pair of cans you hear things you didn't know were there. Overall I'd have to say that this is the best Beck album to date.

The lyrics in this Beck album (as well of all of his other ones) are amazing. Beck writes from a very poetic, metaphorical sense. I think a lot of people (including myself) don't always understand where he is coming from but it's still awesome. With modern guilt the way that the melody and the lyrics correspond with the rest of the music is just awesome. It's so well fit and so chill. Beck is of course an awesome singer. His range isn't all that great but his voice just fits his music so well that nothing else could be put in it's place. This album is a true winner in this category.

I've never gave an album a 10 before but I believe that this one truly deserves it. Modern Guilt is truly in a class of its own. The only thing I would be able to compare it to is other Beck albums. I love this whole album, it's one of those few that I can listen to without skipping any tracks but if I had to pick 3 songs off of this one they would be Volcano, Modern Guilt, and Gamma Ray. I like the layered complexity of the album and the versatility. There is really nothing that I dislike about the album. I would definitely buy this album again. I'm pretty picky when it comes to music and like I said, I have never gave anything a 10 before. There are some greatest hits completions that could swing it but as far as actual albums go this is the only one IMO.

TBezza
    freshtunes wrote: You can't give him a 10 for everything. Biased review.
    I don't know, I'd give him 10 for everything, it truly is a great album.
    Like I Is
    save_myself wrote: awful lyrics, he sounds exactly like the brain-washed scientologist that he is. i hope his fans will save him from that awful cult before it's too late and his talent will be washed down the drain.
    ^Knows nothing about anything.
    sid9102
    soulflyV wrote: Amazing album. First Beck album I heard, and I just bought it on a 'what-the-hell-why-not?' impulse. Definitely one of my best purchases. I don't know what his other stuff sounds like but he's got me interested with this.
    same here man! this was my gateway into other beck albums like guero and odelay.
    soulflyV
    Epibird
    He's been a Scientologist his whole life, his parents were scientologists and you shouldn't judge the entire belief based on South Park. I could go on, saying how your review has nothing to do with his beliefs, other then those that have to do with the Modern World, the environment, hence Modern Guilt I believe. The Album's lyrics are great, and still have you singing along just like the old times. The riffs and beats are there, you might just not catch them the first time. One of his best.
    grungeisdeaduk
    wtf has his religion (btw his dad was one and hes been one since birth)got to do with this album
    its_alive
    This is a great album. I'm looking forward to the tour and I have tickets to his October 2nd show in Chicago. I'll be sure to post a review about it. Danger Mouse makes a great team with Beck. Definitely a plus.
    tsunami bomb
    modern guilt & soul of a man i have been singing since this found it's way onto my hard drive. real awesome album, just wish it had a bit more length to it
    Red33
    Great album. REALLY great album. I'm happy, I was afraid after timebomb
    WhereArtEsteban
    freshtunes wrote: You can't give him a 10 for everything. Biased review.
    Well you have a biased comment...
    TheBlackKey9
    Definately looking forward to this album beck rules and dangermouse is quite a bonus.
    save_myself
    vans1170
    freshtunes wrote: You can't give him a 10 for everything. Biased review.
    who cares. beck deserves a 10. i heard this album fulfills his recording contract, i wonder if he'll go indie such as pre-mellow gold
    DirtyFryBassGuy
    freshtunes wrote: You can't give him a 10 for everything. Biased review.
    when it's as amazing of an album as it is he can.
    daz93
    just bought this album, i'm going to go listen to it now.