Mutations review by Beck

• Released: Nov 3, 1998
Beck: Mutations

As with all of Beck's music, you get an instant hit of folk-infused goodness. His 6th studio album, released after Odelay. Originally to be released on the indie record label Bong Load Records, Geffen released it anyway after hearing it. As a big fan of Beck's music it took me a while to get used to this album. It's mostly quite a subdued album for the most part, but the songs "Tropicalia" and "Diamond Bollocks", the hidden track. This track was extremely experimental and Beck has described it as being more about the process than the sound, but I just cannot help but love it. No matter what he does it seems to just work and flow, even when his sound can be quite abrasive, it somehow seems melodic too.

As with most of Beck's music, his lyrics are seemingly nonsensical, erratic and poetic. They really make the music what it is. His vocal skills are very unique. Nowhere near technically perfect, but an interesting sound, not exactly typical.

Within his own discography I think it sits quite quietly, in comparison to maybe "Sea Change". Similarly quite demure, and yet Sea Change had more themes, more emotions portrayed in dramatic ways. This album makes a good soundtrack to a quiet day or evening. It's very good background noise. I do like that aspect, though I like my Beck music to be similar to the masterpieces found on "Midnite Vultures". More fun, even more bizarre lyrics. Not one of my favourite Beck albums but it does have 2 of my favourite songs, the aforementioned "Tropicalia" and "Diamond Bollocks". He definitely keeps true to his sound and style, while managing to somehow sound at least slightly different with each song.

Dakkstar
    I liked about two songs from this album aswell... but i haven't heard it in years I may like it more these days.