Odelay review by Beck

• Released: Jun 18, 1996
Beck: Odelay

Beck is a musical genious, and this is his crowning jewel to date. It isn't a thing like his first attempt "Mellow Gold." He went into a more mainstream aproach (but when I say "mainstream" I mean it in the least way possible) it's still odd, but not as much. The sound differs all the way through the album. It's origenal as hell, and its damn good. In other words, it dosn't get much better than this.

Well the lyrics arn't something to write home about, it's the weakest part of the album. But Beck's seamlessly authentic way of making any type of music he's singing to sound like he's been doing it for 100 years is remarkable. Wheather he's rapping to the smooth beat of "Where It's At" or he's soulfully singing his heart out on "Jack-ass" it is all top notch, it's a legend at the pennecle of his career.

In my opion "Odelay" is one of the top 10 albums ever released. They're are no weak tracks, scratch that, they're are absolutly no songs on the album that are even close to "Average" it is all amazing. If you ever feel the need to skip one track, you don't know good music. It's also very impressive how no tracks sound alike. It's impossible to compare songs, because they all are spectaculer. If it were stolen or lost, of course I would buy it again.