Odelay review by Beck

• Released: Jun 18, 1996
Beck: Odelay

As soon as you turn this album on your attention is grabbed by the fast paced and catchy riff of 'Devil's Haircut'. Then you listen to the chorus with the simple drum and bass rhythm, and then the harmonica comes in, then the keyboard, and you're only half way through the first song. Beck is a musical genius, there are no words to catergorise his music, he adds so much into something so small. The music to me has a very summery feel, as if you would be listening to this while sitting in a field having a barbecue or something, it has a very positive vibe throughout.

Beck raps mostly and the lyrics and so out of this world that it could take maybe a lifetime to comprehend just a handful of them. "Driving my pig while the bear's taking pictures in the grass" is one of my favourite lines which can be found on 'Hotwax'. Beck has a very original style with his vocal work and lyrics which adds as further proof to the "Beck is a genius" argument I made earlier.

Compared with other of Beck's album, Odelay has to be the best in my opinion. It has so many different sytles on one disc it could even be seen a 'Greatest Hits' album. Songs that stand out are 'Devil's Haircut', 'Where It's At', 'The New Pollution' and 'Sissyneck', which I think are career defining. I would highly recommend this album to anyone who has ever had any love a crazy, rapping, hippy, musical genius.