Sea Change review by Beck

• Released: Sep 24, 2002
Beck: Sea Change

Beck has never been one to choose one sound and stick with it. Every album is different, but maybe not perhaps as different as "Sea Change", his 2002 album. The sound for this album, melancholy folk with an orchestra, was a bit of a shock after his last album, "Midnite Vultures". But this is, as many critics have called it, Beck's magnum opus. His best album, and one of the best albums of all time. Each song is beautifully crafted and shows off Beck's singer/songwriter side.

Also known as "the quintessential breakup album", "Sea Change"'s lyrics are obviously about a breakup. The album is terribly sad, with many songs about loneliness and solitude. Beck is really singing his heart out here, both in emotion and in the power of his voice. The lyrics are both depressing and hopeful; sad and speaking of a new beginning. They are, to say the least, captivating.

It is very hard to compare Beck albums, as they are all different, but this one has to be the best. The pure emotion coming through the speakers engages you to the very end. There are really no stand out songs, as they all stand out, but my personal favorites have to be "The Golden Age", a hopeful song to start the album; "Guess I'm Doing Fine", a country-esque song about going into denial after a breakup; and Lonesome Tears, a song driven by a beautiful, yet somber orchestra. Definitely one of my favorite albums of all time, "Sea Change" is and will remain a classic. Get this album if you have any interest in Beck at all. Get this album if you want to hear an album with lyrics untouched by modern mainstream trash. Get this album if you want to truly experience an album, not just listen to it.

Abacus11
    Such a great album! I haven't listened to it in a while... I'm about to change that.